Rhythm Guitar (is more important than lead)

2pacHendrix

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just to make and clarify a point - I'm getting the impression that many of you seem to feel that lead guitarists are clueless yutzes when it comes to rhythm. I beg to differ. You know as well as I do, that a solo at the most, only makes up about 10% of a song (most of the time it's 5% tops). So, that leaves rhythm guitar for the rest of the song. If you don't know how to play and keep rhythm, you're not of much use as a guitarist IMO. I enjoy playing good rhythm parts, as much as I enjoy lead guitar. A lead should just add to a song - not say, "hey look at me! Ain't I the greatest?" As for learning how to pick better, and keep up with the changes - as much as some of you will dismiss it - I found playing thrash metal in the 80s to really help my rhythm guitar playing. You have to maintain tight time keeping, to keep things from turning into a mess. Oh yeah, and some of the rhythm changes will definitely keep you on your toes - not your typical I IV V stuff. For example:

Suicidal Tendencies - "Emotion No. 13"
[YOUTUBE]nNx8prmIS4o[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'll definitely second the '80s thrash. Kreator - When the Sun Burns Red has some great riffs, very fun to play. The rhythm work from bands like Heathen, Megadeth (especially Peace Sells through Rust in Peace), Anacrusis, Dark Angel, Metal Church... Pretty fun stuff. Early Iced Earth is cool too for the straight up right-hand discipline, and getting out of the straight downpicking, even if the chord progressions aren't terribly creative.

Oh, and Anthrax. Scott Ian is one of my favorite rhythm players.

• Members

I'll definitely second the '80s thrash. Kreator - When the Sun Burns Red has some great riffs, very fun to play. The rhythm work from bands like Heathen, Megadeth (especially Peace Sells through Rust in Peace), Anacrusis, Dark Angel, Metal Church... Pretty fun stuff. Early Iced Earth is cool too for the straight up right-hand discipline, and getting out of the straight downpicking, even if the chord progressions aren't terribly creative.

Oh, and Anthrax. Scott Ian is one of my favorite rhythm players.

+1 on the above. Playing a lot of the above is a blast.!!

• Members

Sorry if I sent the wrong message out, but I agree with your averment. I think one must feel the solo and the backing rhythm to make a good solo. Case and point; A Tout Le Monde by Megadeth.
[YOUTUBE]65JpQRUf8XE[/YOUTUBE]
I'm not much of a thrash fan, but that solo, man...it's just...awesome! Maybe because it's not his usual shred style.

Anyway, your cool with me ellen! :thu: I respect most of your posts and you have great taste in music.

Archived