Vista does not support AVC content

goldear

• Members

It seems there is an audio AV/C that interfaces such as bridgeco were designed to support. I have no idea if this has anything to do with what microssoft doesn't support. Here is a link that mentions AV/C audio.

http://www.mccoy.com.sg/pdffiles/bridgeco/adp_culbco_31_asg_bob.pdf

What I am actually searching for is info on which brand and type,(pci or pcie) of firewire card to get. It seems the pcie cards don't have the potential for IRQ sharing problems. But the pcie card have the pci link overhead.I have heard a few statements that under heavy load, that the pci cards offer higher throughput.I will probably go with a card that says works with vista.

This AVC stuff is just something I stumbled across by chance.

• Members

Don't worry - this man is about to promote Vista.

seinfeld_wideweb__470x329,0.jpg

Comedian Jerry Seinfeld will star in a $US300 million marketing campaign for Microsoft aimed at burnishing the image of its computer operating system, a person familiar with the effort said.

The centerpiece of that campaign, to debut next month, is a series of television advertisements in which Seinfeld, 54, best known for his eponymous sitcom, will appear with Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, the person told Reuters.

The Wall Street Journal, which first reported details of the marketing effort, said Seinfeld will receive about $US10 million for his work.

Seinfeld's representatives were not immediately available for comment and Redmond, Washington-based computer software giant Microsoft declined to discuss the matter.

But the source who knew of the ad campaign said an immediate goal of the commercials is to counter public perceptions that Windows Vista, Microsoft's latest PC operating system, is clunky and hard to use compared with rival products from Apple.

The overall objective of the campaign is to rejuvenate the brand image of Windows generally, the source said.

Devised by the Miami-based ad agency Crispin Porter + Bogusky, the spots will employ some variation of the slogan "Windows, Not Walls" and the theme of removing barriers that prevent people and ideas from connecting, the person said.

The ads will begin appearing September 4. The Wall Street Journal said the $US300 million marketing campaign is one of the largest in the company's history.

For now, Seinfeld is the only celebrity, other than Gates, taking part in the campaign, although others were considered, including comic actor Will Ferrell, the source said.

The attempted image overhaul comes in the wake of Apple's "Mac vs. PC" ads featuring a geeky PC guy who vaguely resembles Gates being unable to keep up with a better-looking, hip Mac counterpart.

Those ads, painting Windows as stodgy and unreliable, have reinforced criticism about Vista's performance, stringent hardware requirements and lack of support for other software and devices such as printers.

Despite selling more than 180 million licenses since its launch in 2007, Vista continues to suffer from the perception the release was a dud, although Microsoft has said early problems with the operating system have been resolved.

The Windows operating system is the crown jewel of Microsoft's $US60 billion software empire. It sits on more than 90 per cent of the world's computers and profits generated from Windows bankroll the company's ventures into new businesses such as Xbox video game machines and Zune music players.

Reuters

• Members

3 Steps to make Your Vista PC Run Better

Step 1- That brand new PC you just bought Has probably been sitting in a box in a ware house somewere for 5 months. All its crap is out of date from the moment you bought it. You need to upgrade your bios and all of your drivers.

Step 2- All those fancey animated windows and 3D craptacular effects make your fancey, high-end machine run like a dislexic midget with club foot. Turn all of that {censored} off and run it in classic mode.

Step 3- After you have tried steps 1 and 2, and your machine still runs like {censored}, uninstal vista, take it back to the store, and instal a free version of Linux!

There's the rub. For a typical home user, you shouldn't need to tweak Vista to run. If its me, I strip down my stuff to barebones, but I game and do Music. I bought my girl a Sony Vaio for Christmas. It spec's out pretty high Core2duo 6.?? So I'm thinking even with all the baloney they put in these Bestbuy computers, it should run circles around her old P3 Dell machine. But it doesn't The Old P3 is actually faster in alot of cases. So here I'm left thinking do I wipe the hard drive and load up XP. After seeing what a laptop with a processor and RAM that is slightly higher than my XP Gaming machine runs like with Vista. I'm mind boggled really. I can understand it being a bit slower than my stripped down XP machines, but this thing is so slow. I'm actually benchamrking this thing with the DEll P3 laptop.

• Members

Yeah, I heard about that.
:freak:

"Wow, Seinfeld was paid a bunch of money to tell me that Vista is great, so it
must
be great - never mind all my own horrible experiences."
:lol:

Desperation time in Redmond.

That's not the Jerry I know-

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/20th-anniversary-macintosh.html

hmmm, I wonder if he is driving a Buick Skylark instead of a Saab now?

Archived