Am I Crazy

The Bear

• Members

It happens. I broke my #1 Epi G400 a few days before my first gig. I had to use my bandmate's Gibby SG Standard. It was a nice guitar, but I couldn't bond with it. That being said, I recently fell in love with a SG Classic at my local guitar center. If everything goes well, it will be my next gutar.

Get the Classic.

Those are great SGs'.

• Members

How could I like a $500.00 guitar better than a $2000.00 one?

I son't know, but I do.

Def not crazy.

A buddy of mine has a 52 Hot Rod Tele which is very lovely indeed, but even if he wanted to swap for my MIJ Jerry Donahue sig Tele, I wouldn't. His cost

• Members

If the $500 guitar has a better setup than the $2K guitar, chances are pretty good many will like the feel of the $500 better.

Then there are those that realize it's just a matter of setting up the $2K to their preferences so they don't let something like that deter them from making the purchase.

• Members

I'd like to try a Santana SE, but they're tough to come across.

I have one of the earliest ones, a cherry-red 2001 Mk 1 with trem and retrofitted Kent Armstrong HB-sized P90s. Not a 'valuable' instrument in cashy terms, but a thoroughly lovely one with a fab wide-fat neck. Live At Leeds plus wigglage!

If the $500 guitar has a better setup than the $2K guitar, chances are pretty good many will like the feel of the $500 better.

Then there are those that realize it's just a matter of setting up the $2K to their preferences so they don't let something like that deter them from making the purchase.

I also agree with this as I mentioned in another thread. I've often played, say a friends high quality guitars, only to find that they're setup preference (or lack thereof) rendered the guitar nearly unplayable for me.

But I think Bear is aware enough to compensate for that. Don't think he's gonna let a great guitar go through his hands for lack of a decent setup.

• Members

I have one of the earliest ones, a cherry-red 2001 Mk 1 with trem and retrofitted Kent Armstrong HB-sized P90s. Not a 'valuable' instrument in cashy terms, but a thoroughly lovely one with a fab wide-fat neck. Live At Leeds plus wigglage!

I'll just keep looking.

I don't need one, but I'd like to try one anyway.

Hell, most of what I have I don't need, but I sure do love em'.

"Once you get above a certain threshold/baseline level of manufacture, set-up, parts quality etc, personal taste and preference assume greater and greater significance when assessing any particular individual instrument."

That does sum it up.

• Members

.But I think Bear is aware enough to compensate for that. Don't think he's gonna let a great guitar go through his hands for lack of a decent setup.

Well thank you for the vote of confidence.

I always set up my guitars when they get here be they new or used.

Also, yes.

I wouldn't have let one of these slip on by if I thought I could do something with it.

The Mira and used McCarty are the two that had me thinking that after a little work they could be great guitars.

I am going to call the PRS dealer here and find out if he'll consider a trade.

If so I'll go check his out.

He absolutly takes great care with his stock.

Either he or one of his staff has to get the guitar down and then they clean and polish it after your done playing.

Every guitar there, even used, look pristine.

You won't see an 11 year old kid jammin' away on one.

Damn, I just found out they closed their doors.

Bummer.

At GC this weekend there was a kid, maybe 10, playing a nice new LP Classic.

I saw him turn to look at his dad and bang the headstock on an amp.

It hit hard and I was just waiting to hear that snap.

Archived