Switching from R2 nut to R1 nut...Qs?

RJpilot

• Members

I have a small problem I am finally going to remedy about my '83 Kramer pacer. Its an 1 5/8 nut width with an r2 locking nut. The problem is I occasionally accidentally pull the high E off the fretboard. Its not a huge problem but I tend to play the guitar "carefully" which ends up being un-fun.

So I found out I could swap for a smaller nut. I'm gonna try the R1 nut. I guess the R1 nut is the size that was on the kramer nightswan which was a 24 3/4 scale shred machine. Besides having a nut smaller than the neck its installed on is not a bad deal. After all, the $25,000 EVH frankenstrat has got a lot of mismatched parts and pieces.

My concern is I have never played a neck as slim as a 1 9/16 nut width. Anybody have any experience with a neck like that. I am used to strat 1 11/16 width, but I have smaller hands (carnie-style) So Is this going to be a dissapointing switch. I hate to think of may Kramer pacer as a klunker.

• Members

i always under the impression that nuts where installed to match the radius of the fretboard.

I think that is also correct. The floyd locking nut has a 10 inch radius. The R1 has a 1 9/16" width, the R2 has 1 5/8", the R3 1 11/16" and so on... So its important to match the width as well.

Archived