Did I miss the boat on the Peavey Generation EX?

Midcitysaint

• Members

I used to own a Peavey Reactor that I loved. It was rock solid, sounded good, etc. A few years ago I picked up a Peavey Generation flipped it over and saw "made in China" on the back. I recoiled so hard from that thinking Peavey still did things the way they did in the 1990's that I never plugged it in. I put it down and never looked back.

Now after watching Frets99's video on it and a few other people I wonder if I missed something. Are they a pretty decent tele clone? Better than Xaviere or SX? What about Squier or even MIM Fenders?

• Members

peavey used to make generations in the US i think.. I saw a wild generation from the custom shop last year, it had peavey active pickups and a kahler spyder tremolo i believe. Search music-go-round and you'll find one for cheap surely.

as for your question, im sure its on par with SX/xaviere, but then the quality control issues come into play, its best to just play the guitar before you buy it.

I like the one I got and I've played a couple at stores and marveled at how much guitar you get for so little. I give the overall nod to the Xaviere over the Peavey because of the GFS pups, electronics, well cut graphite nut, hardware and overall quality but the Peavey is a surprisingly good guitar for the money. That being said, I upgraded to BG pickups on it. It has a monster tone now.

Archived