Jim Root tele set up help

15round

• Members

I just bought a JR Tele on saturday.i noticed the action was pretty high for me.I tried to set the saddles to Fender specs and opened up a can of worms!First off I noticed that the saddles are not level (I suppose they follow the neck radius.I was able to get the E,B, and G to just under 2mm.No buzzing.My problem started at the D string.Not bad buzz but a little.Now for the A string.It is really high and still buzzes.When I look down at the guitar it is noticably high.Also the E string.Why are the saddles set at an angle?Can I set them level?Neck relief was set by my dealer.WTF am I doing all wrong.Where should the action be set.The stock action was 2.5mm.Pretty high for lead playing I think.Help!:facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

Neck relief was set by my dealer.WTF am I doing all wrong.Where should the action be set.The stock action was 2.5mm.Pretty high for lead playing I think.Help!
:facepalm:
:facepalm:

How do you know the relief was set to you liking? According to Fender, a Tele with a radius of 12" should have a relief around 0.010"

Take a look at this link and see what you can figure out...it's got a good amount of info.

http://www.fender.com/support/telecaster.php

Obviously, a setup is a personal thing. There are no rules to it as long as the guitar plays the way you want it to.

• Members

First get a mechanics rule if you don't have one.

Set the string height at 4/64 at the 17th. fret with a capo on the first fret.

Measure from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string.

The saddles will not be straight because they will follow the neck radius.

Adjust the string height with the saddles.

Don't mess with the truss rod.

If you want to check the relief get a feeler gauge and with the capo still on the first fret.

Press the sixth string down on the last fret.

Slide the feeler gauge under the 6th. string at the 8th. fret.

The relief should be anywhere from .10-.12 inch or .3 mm.

If you want to change the relief just turn the TR 1/8 of a turn at a time until the relief is correct.

Turning the TR left will add relief and turning to the right will straighten the neck reducing relief.

While doing this make sure the guitar is in tune.

I also suggest getting Dan Earlwines book on guitar repair and setup from Amazon.

Hope this helps.

• Members

From the factory the set screws are set at different lenghts causing the saddles to look cocked(not level) for each individual saddle.Should the saddles be level individually and raised and lowered to compensate for neck radius?

Archived