Free recording software Download

sleepeatplay

• Members

Well I had the day off, so I decided to get motivated and break out my USB microphone. The software I had was horrible, so I looked around and found this shareware. Audacity. Nice and simple to use. I gave it a couple of test runs while rocking to Frets' sticky jam. Pretty decent. To convert the file to mp3 however you have to go to the site and look for the decoder software link. Once installed, it worked smooth with no glitches at all. Hell, I might have to put something together worthy of posting.

Anyway here is the link. Free is a good price..;)

http://www.download.com/Audacity/3000-2170_4-10058117.html

• Members

Audacity is good, and it's hard to beat the price.

I've also been watching another Digital Audio Workstation that has been in development for some time, that aims at the professional market. And, it's free.

http://ardour.org/

Sounds like it's getting to be a pretty usable tool, and they have an OSX version now (previously it was just Linux), so I might actually have to try it out now.

• Members

I prefer GarageBand as well as it is more robust with all sorts of effects plugins and whatnot. The interface is cleaner and easier to use.

But Audacity is great, albeit barebones. It's great for really basic recording and editing. There are more robust free programs, such as Reaper and Kristal.

Personally, I'll stick with Garageband, with my only complaint being that the timeline is in music meter time rather than actual time (like in Audacity).

There are free effects... useful ones too!

Also, can't you use any VST effects plug-in's?

I just don't remember.

M

• Members

Ok, i downloaded it, now how the heck do i use it. If someone that uses it wouldnt mind helping me out through PM's or even by phone, i want to learn about recording to computer so i can upload stuff so others can hear.

Well, I'm hoping the more experienced users chime in here, I'm still screwing with it. I have a USB mic, so for me, it was a matter of hitting the record button. Now, for a direct interface I would imagine you are going to need a 1/4 jack to USB cord.

• Members

Well, I'm hoping the more experienced users chime in here, I'm still screwing with it. I have a USB mic, so for me, it was a matter of hitting the record button. Now, for a direct interface I would imagine you are going to need a 1/4 jack to USB cord.

Ok, so if i got said 1/4" to USB cord, do i just plug the guitar straight into the computer? I have no line out on my amp. And i dont have a USB mic either---God i feel like such a noob

• Members

Make sure you check edit>preferences and go through your recording inputs....sometimes it take some guessing and checking to find out which one you want.....so if you're having trouble recording any signal, check that first....

a couple random tips:

-holding shift and pressing play loops the phrase

-one of the magnifier glass icons crops the whole recording to fit into the window, so you can see it all.....

• Members

Ok, so if i got said 1/4" to USB cord, do i just plug the guitar straight into the computer? I have no line out on my amp. And i dont have a USB mic either---God i feel like such a noob

You could, but running it through a recording interface or some sort of preamp might make the signal a little bit more usable, and less "raw"....

• Members

I'm not exactly Mr. recorder either, you are gonna need to get the signal into your computer. So ya ,you are going to need to get one of the above items. Make sure you read the manual...I know it goes against the manly grain but it should help.:)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual-1.2/

• Members

Relax.. there are plenty here who aren't hip to computer recording. I don't know much but I do know this: While it is possible to plug your guitar directly into most sound cards (try both the input and mic jacks) on a computer, you need software to make it heard and to record it and a connection via USB to cut down on delay issues.

Plugging direct in that manner also will introduce you to latency; a delay on your real time playing to your computer's processing of it by at least 20 milliseconds. Doesn't sound like much, but it can really mess with your playing.

This would be something you'd want to straighten out. There are some fairly cheap audio interfaces becoming available these days (as low as $60) that allow an RCA or 1/4" input and a USB output. This way, your guitar signal is stronger and the USB connection greatly reduces latency. I have such a device for MIDI, but need to upgrade to add standard analog input (guitar, vocals, old tapes & records, etc).

As for plugging your amp straight into your computer (been a few questions about this here lately), I'd use a direct box with a speaker emulator (Il think Hughs & Kettner makes such a box), but with the advances in guitar software, you might want to look into something like amp modeling software like the NI Guitar Rig.

Just keep this in mind; know that it's going to take some money and also an investment in time to make it work properly and to your satisfaction. The recording software can be had for free, but there's the other software and hardware mentioned here as well as the time to learn how to use it all. Still, not as much effort and money these days as many still fear.

CSMRaffleadv2-2.jpg

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2200682

• Members

I'd recommend going this route if you want simplicity:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249700

Conversely, you could pick up a mic preamp and a mic.

Here's the cheapest option:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SPC25-Condenser-Microphone?sku=277522

For the latter, you'd still need a mic cable and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. You'd use the adapter and a regular guitar cable to run between the ART and the line input on your computer. The mic is not the cheapest mic out there, but it's a fantastic condenser mic for the price. If you want USB, you'll have to shell out more dough. ART makes a fantastic one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMPpsUSB/

The Toneport is the simplest route to take, and you can still mic your current amp. Though, you can only use a dynamic mic. For that, I'd recommend a Behringer XM8500. It's been heralded as being equivalent to the Shure SM58. Still, I'm not sure of the sound quality of using the Toneport as a means of miking and recording an amp.

The absolute cheapest option would be to run your guitar directly into your sound card using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. But it'll sound like crap without modeling software. You might be able to get plugins or such for free, but it's still not likely going to sound terribly great.

• Members

I am glad to see you guys helping me out, i will look into some of the above mentioned items and go from there.

As far as reading the manual---are you kidding?? I only look at pictures:facepalm:

The centerfold will give you inspiration!!:lol::lol:

Really, try a simple interface, I'm old school when it comes to this stuff too. Hell, I still run my pedals in front of my amp. This is pretty new to me, as I'm more of a "live player" than a "recording" kind of guy. You cannot stop learning new stuff. My .02:thu:

• Members

Can i use my Korg Toneworks personal processor to go into and from that into the computer? Or am i better off with one of the above items?

If i can use the Korg, do i go from its output to the computers mic port or to the USB port?

Assuming it has some sort of line out, you could definitely run it into the computer. If it has a USB output, use that. Otherwise, you could run a cable from the 1/4" line out to the line in on your sound card. You'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

What model do you have?

• Members

Thanks for helping out Musicmaker '55. This is what makes this forum great.
:thu:

Sure do appreciate that. Am always super pleased to give back some useful info after having been given so much right here on the HC forums (esp. HCEG!).

But, Florbastang really laid down some concrete info above and beyond what I did. A lot to using your computer to easily and cheaply record high quality tracks is schooling yourself on choosing the right software and hardware. Sometimes it's good NOT to spend a lot of money on bells and whistles you may never need or want to use.

Only recently have simple and affordable audio interfaces been available. Everyone getting started with even basic computer recording needs to know that some of these items aren't so good while others may require a bit of tweaking with updated drivers to work well. This is why you have to take time to read some user reviews on this stuff. MF, online mag. reviews and even right here at HC, you can take in the pros vs. cons and make a more educated decision.

Most computer recording software and hardware I've seen over the past 5 years has been geared towards either pro level studio recording or pop/d.j. sampling/mixing. So, it's about time your average "non-tech" musician has an opportunity to use this great technology without a lot of hassle or $$$.

So to sum it up; to those like me that are still learning the basics of computer recording, you gotsta keep digging for the essential info to make them edjucated decisions.

• Members

Assuming it has some sort of line out, you could definitely run it into the computer. If it has a USB output, use that. Otherwise, you could run a cable from the 1/4" line out to the line in on your sound card. You'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

What model do you have?

I have the PX3 model. I know i have not used it for its full potential, i got it in a trade as alternative to getting an original Rockman i was looking for at the time. It has a ton of functions i have not even begun to scratch the surface with.

It has a 1/4" line out on it, so getting a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter should be easy enough. MAybe this week i can get one, i have some painting to finish up in the house before i can play with this though.:rolleyes:

Archived