Some questions about string bending, neck radius and that infamous Black Strat

woodsmandan

• Members

I have seen it in a local store. The Black Strat, NOS, with all it's bells and whistles...more than 4000$...and it made me wonder, what if I buy it ? I could simply invest in this instead than stock market this year, my overall stock value has diminished by over 20%, this guitar can't do worst me thinks...

And it also made me wonder...I have owned Strats before, but never with a 7.25 neck radius...but I have owned a '81 Fender Lead with that kind of neck, and it often buzzed on high bends...I always tought that smaller radius means more fretting out on high bends...and the Gilmour Strat is supposed to be a bending machine if there were ever one...

Ok I probably never will buy that DG Strat, but I'm seriously gassing for a '57 reissue...but is it really the right tool for Gilmour, Knopfler type playing with lots of bends, or is my experience with the Fender Lead just a case of a bad neck ?

• Members

I have seen it in a local store. The Black Strat, NOS, with all it's bells and whistles...more than 4000$...and it made me wonder, what if I buy it ? I could simply invest in this instead than stock market this year, my overall stock value has diminished by over 20%, this guitar can't do worst me thinks...

And it also made me wonder...I have owned Strats before, but never with a 7.25 neck radius...but I have owned a '81 Fender Lead with that kind of neck, and it often buzzed on high bends...I always tought that smaller radius means more fretting out on high bends...and the Gilmour Strat is supposed to be a bending machine if there were ever one...

Ok I probably never will buy that DG Strat, but I'm seriously gassing for a '57 reissue...but is it really the right tool for Gilmour, Knopfler type playing with lots of bends, or is my experience with the Fender Lead just a case of a bad neck ?

probably.

I never had one to lose notes when bending but others say they do. I had the American vintage reissue 57 and 62 reissue.

now I play a 60's classic mim and it has the 7.25 radius.your fender lead may have needed a fret leveling done.

If I were going to get a strat for David Gilmore and blues type stuff I would go for the AVRI 62 strat. I find that darker sound from the rosewood board really sounds great for that type of music.I used my 57 for country as it sounded brighter and my 62 was used for the blues/rock stuff.of course both had the 7.25 neck.:)

• Members

Physics tells us that a 7.25 radius fretboard can not be set with as low an action as a flatter board. History tells us the handicap is not so severe that one can't play such a guitar just fine. Personally, I like 10"-14", but I don't burst into tears with a rounder board either.

• Members

I love my Classic 60's,of course I prefer my action on the higher side than lots of people so that doesn't bother me.

Even with the action set low though,fretting out only really becomes an issue up above fret 12 or 13.

My guitars range from 7.25"----->16",I like 'em all.

• Members

These days I would rather have a strat type with med-ish frets and a flatter 9.5 rad' neck. I played on and still own some vintage rad' / small vintage fret guitars and although they are fun to play, the "modern" spec's offer much more playability (imo). Especially when bending all night long around the first 5 frets.

You know what might be a strat worth checking out...The Jimmie Vaughan model. It has the modern 9.5 rad with bigger frets and sports a nice "V" shape styled neck. The "V" neck profile is what the 50's type Fender RI and such are all about (imo). You could buy one used for cheap enough and throw whatever kind of pups you like in it.

Archived