'Add9' chords

raggety

• Members

From what I've understood, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, it simply means that you add the 9th to a normal (in this case major) triad. A C9 is a C7 with the 9th on top, notes being C E G Bb D. It's a dominiant 7th chord really, with some added color. A Cadd9 would be C E G D. Very cute sounding chord. Don't play it too often or you will soon be gay.

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

From what I've understood, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, it simply means that you add the 9th to a normal (in this case major) triad. A C9 is a C7 with the 9th on top, notes being C E G Bb D. It's a dominiant 7th chord really, with some added color. A Cadd9 would be C E G D. Very cute sounding chord. Don't play it too often or you will soon be gay.

aha i kinda see now!

its a very cool sounding chord is the Add9,not Gay more bisexual ;)

i have been playing this sweet litlle chord proggy using ADD9's, it sounds well nice :cool: they don't seem to have much common usage in music {AFAIK???}

terje you certainly know ya musical stuff, where did you learn so much?

• Members

Originally posted by raggety

its a very cool sounding chord is the Add9,not Gay more bisexual
;)

Yeah, that's whatyou think at first. Then you play it too often and soon enough you'll only be dating people of your own sex. Happens to everyone. That's why people don't play this chord that often.

terje you certainly know ya musical stuff, where did you learn so much?

They're called books. They've got words and stuff in them. You read the words and eventually you learn new things.

I have a friend also who taught me a lot.

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

It's a dominiant 7th chord really, with some added color.

That's debatable.

Sure an added 9 is a hint that a 7th exists, but add9 chords are very often used over the tonic and subdominant context (where the maj7 would be the right choice instead of a dominant 7th).

Btw, I play add9 chords a lot, and I'm still not gay :)

• Members

Originally posted by edeltorus

That's debatable.

Sure an added 9 is a hint that a 7th exists, but add9 chords are very often used over the tonic and subdominant context (where the maj7 would be the right choice instead of a dominant 7th).

Btw, I play add9 chords a lot, and I'm still not gay
:)

didn't the steely dan guys have some running joke about add9 chords, calling them "mu chords"?

• Members

I mean - these guys claim to have invented the add9-chord. It can't get more stupid than that.

:D yeh and elvis invented rock n roll ;)

i was thinkin 'mu' as in Zen buddhism

A monk asked Chao-chou, "Has the dog Buddha nature or not?" Chao-chou said, "Mu."

• Members

That's debatable.

Btw, I play add9 chords a lot, and I'm still not gay
:)

He was talking about 7-9 chords in this case, though. So I think you are in agreement...

• Members

That's debatable.

No it'snot. The "it" I was refering to was a C9 chord, not Cadd9. Read carefully and this should be clear to you. A C9 is a C7 with a 9th on top, a dominant 7th chord with some extra color.

An add9 chord is not dominant forall I know. It sure doens't sound that way. So, that would not have been debatable either, but that was n't what I was talking about :)

Archived