Velcro sound in Big Muff?

• Members

I've modified a standard NYC Big Muff quite a bit with diodes and cap changes and tone stack lifts, etc, but one thing i'd really like to do--and i've searched all across the net and found nothing--is how to get a more velcro type sound in the attack of the sound. Every diode change ends up adding more fullness/ less compression, or less fullness/ more compression (to the sustain), and no way to make the attack crazier. Germanium 1N34A's fuzz out the sustain and make it less smooth, but has anyone succeeded at changing the attack of the sound?

• Members

haven't tried it with this circuit, but starving voltage to the transistors would be the first thing to try. with most dirt circuits, that'll give you a squished/gated kind of sound.

• Members

Found it--it's R4 on the first (far left when looking from the parts side as if you're playing the pedal) transistor bias resistor. I put a potentiometer in place and it not only does the velcro thing, but also adds more highs to the bass-y counterclockwise tone, and also cuts/ boosts the volume too.

Archived