Egnater 20 head

voltass

• Members

Thinking of buying a used one,they have been discontinued . Why are so many for sale ? I like a great clean sound mainly but also like a vintage dirty and a metal sound I would take too if its in there though Im not very interested in that .Do they suck or have reliability issues ?

• Members

I think the Tweaker kind of eclipsed that model. For one thing it uses four power tubes.in an inefficient design that only yields 15 to 20 watts. The idea was to blend the total signatures of two different power tubes. At the end of the day they don't sound much different so it's an impractical feature compared to all the variety and versatility of the Tweaker at a cheaper price and simpler design. Still they are great sounding amps for what they do as are all Egnaters. Snap one up by all means if the price is right

• Members
I think the Tweaker kind of eclipsed that model. For one thing it uses four power tubes.in an inefficient design that only yields 15 to 20 watts. The idea was to blend the total signatures of two different power tubes. At the end of the day they don't sound much different so it's an impractical feature compared to all the variety and versatility of the Tweaker at a cheaper price and simpler design. Still they are great sounding amps for what they do as are all Egnaters. Snap one up by all means if the price is right

the 15 watt model has no power reduction . The 20 does ,that's why I want it . I have a Blues Jr. that sounds incredible with a xotic pedal but its only usable at gigs cause it is very loud .I don't care what watts are what its loud!

• Members

I'm not really sure how that amp achieves power reduction. The consensus seems to be that it's NOT an attenuator and more of a solid state effect (like the boost switch on a Fender Blues Junior). My only advice is to maybe do a side by side between the Rebel 20 and a Tweaker. Personally if I want overdrive/distortion at low volume, I use pedals.

• Members

I just love overdrive pedals. I need an excuse to use them. I've gone through dozens and a few of my all-time favorites are:

Bad Cat 2-Tone

Radial Tonebone Classic

Digitech Bad Monkey and Screamin' Blues

Marshall Bluesbreaker I

Nothing beats the sound of a cranked amp with the power tubes, speaker and preamp pushed to it's limits....but I've found that using a pedal in front of a tube amp beats the heck out of any attenuator or master volume amp I've ever played.

That said, The Tweaker DOES have a pretty transparent and useful master volume design as long as you don't overdo it. It can enhance a pedal all the more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Guitarcapo is right. The 'watts' knob on the rebel series of amps is NOT an attenuator. Honestly, unless you're playing at high volumes, the knob doesn't have much of an effect. It's more about clean headroom than anything else.

he sure was and the tube knob doesn't do anything ,for practical purposes either ,its going back

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

FWIW I had one I used for quite a while. Solid amp with a nice sound. And depending on what tubes, the tube mix knob can make a difference. It's most obvious all the way one way or the other. And yes the wattage knob makes a bigger difference at higher volumes. It acts kind of like a compressor IMO. I tended to keep the volume pretty high and turn the watts down to compress it and make it a little fatter.

All that said one of the reasons I sold it was I played a tweaker. I also don't need an amp right now. So I sold it. But when the need arises for a real amp again, the tweaker will be pretty high on the list. But if I find a good deal on a rebel I won't hesitate either.

Archived