When to Stop?

ndemattheis

• Members

I have been practicing along with a vocal cd during my daily commutes. At times I begin to experience hoarseness without pain. If I stop for awhile the hoarseness goes away and I can resume my routine. Should I stop when this occurs, or should I try to push through. I also experience mild pain at times in my throat, and I usually stop when this occurs. Is there any rules of thumb I should follow under these circumstances.

• Members

I understand this kind of thing and the best advice I think is to see a teacher to help address these concerns. (Un)fortunately, singing is a largely feeling based instrument, and you can only have someone/something show you how to sing so much.

I've certainly spent years pushing like hell thinking I was doing the right thing/really feeling the song at times. But when you're really singing well, there should be no pain/hoarseness. So again, I would say check out a teacher, even if it's just for a lesson or two.

• Members

Thanks for the replys! The book/cd is Ann Peckham's The Contemporary Singer. I usually wait about 10 minutes before starting again. I usually keep a 12 ounce bottle of water with me when practicing. I think the hoarseness might be related to a minor head cold. Does this matter?

• Members

Thanks for the replys! The book/cd is Ann Peckham's The Contemporary Singer. I usually wait about 10 minutes before starting again. I usually keep a 12 ounce bottle of water with me when practicing.
I think the hoarseness might be related to a minor head cold. Does this matter?

:facepalm: Yes, a cold can make you hoarse.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

• Members

I've sung through colds before without too much trouble , however there are sinus infections and cold related illnesses that can drip down onto your vocal cords/folds and infect them as well..:mad:

If a cold is causing you soarness, then deff.....Stop

I start hydrating after rehearsal, to be prepared for the next day,if I get up in the middle of the night (often do) I'll make sure to take a big glass of water then too.

Hydration takes time to take effect, it doesn't go to your vocal cords like a sponge, so I'll drink water here and there during the morning and usually not right before I sing.

Occasionally I'll sip a little to help clear phlegm while singing.

Good luck with it.

Archived