Going on tour at the start of next month.

• Members

My band is going on tour next month. We are based out of upstate ny and we will be trudging our way down to florida for a week and a half/two week endeavor. This will be our first full fledged going for it tour (we have done a little weekend stint but that is all to dip our toes in the water) and i way too excited and of course prepared to be stressed out and/or concerned of what could happen. I already have a good idea of the set up and the preparations i am going to have to take but i am young and inexperienced in this matter so i figured you guys could offer some advice, experience and funny stories...especially funny stories. ;)

• Members

My band is going on tour next month. We are based out of upstate ny and we will be trudging our way down to florida for a week and a half/two week endeavor. This will be our first full fledged going for it tour (we have done a little weekend stint but that is all to dip our toes in the water) and i way too excited and of course prepared to be stressed out and/or concerned of what could happen. I already have a good idea of the set up and the preparations i am going to have to take but i am young and inexperienced in this matter so i figured you guys could offer some advice, experience and funny stories...especially funny stories.
;)

Cool.

Someone else posted about an east coast run about a year ago but they never reported back....

So don't get us all worked up and not tell us what happened :facepalm:

You're welcome to browse mine from last year

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2806374-Summer-Tour-journal-2011&highlight=

but it's more of a 3-4 month version.

advice?

~ Don't party. Go to sleep, wake up the next day, do your job- repeat

~ eat right. pass on the big macs, go for the hard boiled egg/banana/vegetable

something w/salmon .....(if you're 22 and already eat like hell then this won't mean

much to you).

~ take spare stuff

~make sure your prescriptions (if you have any) are still valid before you leave

~confirm that your bank is in the region (if you HAVE to make deposits and your tour is

not in the red).

• Members

My band's doing our first cross-country tour this month. We've done a 4-5 day stint down to NC before, but this is the first full-scale tour we've done.

Baby wipes are your best friend...trust me on that one. And if you're pale-skinned like me, don't forget sunscreen. Especially on your arms. Playing guitar with a sunburn SUCKS. And if you're playing any all-day shows (Say, festivals and such)...stay away from the booze until during/after your set. It's insanely easy to get carried away drinking off your boredom waiting for your set.

• Members

advice?

something w/salmon .....(if you're 22 and already eat like hell then this won't mean

much to you).

~ take spare stuff

~make sure your prescriptions (if you have any) are still valid before you leave

~confirm that your bank is in the region (if you HAVE to make deposits and your tour is

not in the red).

All this, for sure. Also, notify your bank that you're going to be traveling. Otherwise you might wake up one day and find your credit or debit cards have been shut down because there've been a bunch of transactions from all different cities, which trips their fraud alarm.

It's a lot easier to go on tour these days and not have to eat crap, that's for sure. If nothing else, there's usually a Starbucks and/or a Subway handy, either of which beats the greasy burger joints.

• Members

And if you're pale-skinned like me, don't forget sunscreen.

Exposure at outdoor gigs will drain the life out of you in a hurry. Been burned many times and kicking myself for forgetting sunscreen... and Deep Woods Off. I carry a small first aid kit in my gig bag and have been the go to guy for band aids and triple antibiotic ointment for the cuts and gashes that seem to always happen far from home. Be VERY careful what you eat. My guitarist and I both got food poisoning at different times from venue supplied food platters. For sure take spares of whatever you need to make music with and watch everything like a hawk at all times so it doesn't walk off. People make dumb mistakes when they are tired so limit the partying and treat it like a business. Do your job, repeat, make money, and have fun.

• Members

Cool.

Someone else posted about an east coast run about a year ago but they never reported back....

So don't get us all worked up and not tell us what happened
:facepalm:
You're welcome to browse mine from last year

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2806374-Summer-Tour-journal-2011&highlight=

but it's more of a 3-4 month version.

advice?

much to you).

~ take spare stuff

not in the red).

I will make sure to do a follow up post about how it all goes down! I'm 18 and a vegetarian so i am in tip top shape as far as health goes and i don't have a credit card!

To the others, i will keep in mind the baby wipes hahaha, pictures will also come along! Our mini-tour worked out really well because our first show was with two of our friend's bands and the band TOMBS (SO GOOD LIVE) and throughout the whole rest of the trip everyone was so nice and willing to help and really really dug our sound so i can only hope it goes something like that. Our booker is trying to make sure he gets places that are friendly to our kind of metal. I have just heard so many horror stories about gear taken and van break ins that my eyes now resemble a hawks... I just hope that is enough.

• Members

Exposure at outdoor gigs will drain the life out of you in a hurry. Been burned many times and kicking myself for forgetting sunscreen... and Deep Woods Off. I carry a small first aid kit in my gig bag and have been the go to guy for band aids and triple antibiotic ointment for the cuts and gashes that seem to always happen far from home. Be VERY careful what you eat. My guitarist and I both got food poisoning at different times from venue supplied food platters. For sure take spares of whatever you need to make music with and watch everything like a hawk at all times so it doesn't walk off. People make dumb mistakes when they are tired so limit the partying and treat it like a business. Do your job, repeat, make money, and have fun.

I carry bug dope and sunscreen in my truck at all times. The post about calling the credit card vendor is spot on. as goofie as it might look ,, have a hat handy with a big brim. Even if you dont wear it on stage ,, you dont want to start a show already fried. I played a three hour show from 11am to 2pm in the south texas sun. I wore my tilly sailing hat and a fishin shirt and used spf 50 on my forarms and calf that was facing the sun. You can get the hell burned out of you down here really easy.

• Members

The sunscreen tip wasn't just for outdoor gigs. You'd be surprised how much your arms can get burned even in the car on a sunny day if you're driving long enough and have a window seat. (If you're as unfortunately pastily-complexioned as I am) As for the van thing: yeah, definitely keep an eye on your gear at all times possible.

Also nice to see Tombs getting some love. Played a show with them last year and they create some tasty musics.

• Members

Good luck to you guys! You sound a smart and decent kid, which is rare in 18 year olds. Awesome :)

A few ideas:

- As mentioned, definitely let your banks know, and leave some money at home with a parent/ friend who can get it to you if need be. You said you don

• Members

Whether it's a credit card, cash, gift card, or whatever....always make sure you have the resources to get back home if circumstances take a drastic turn for the worse.

I've heard too many stories of bands splitting up or firing a member on the road, trucks or trailers getting stolen or wrecked with all the band's gear inside, shady promoters or agents booking non-existent dates, shady club owners screwing bands out of money, etc.

(I once knew a band that got stuck in Europe for a couple months due to a combination of stolen gear and shady promoters.)

The chances of this actually happening are pretty slim....but you want to make sure you have some sort of back-out plan if you do find yourself in a worst-case scenario situation.

• Members

Man i love you guys. (: Thanks so much for all the kind words and ideas! I can't wait to get this underway, i just ordered a louder cabinet for the road too. (Another Port City which you should check out if you haven't. I just ordered an OS 2 x 12) I will make sure to bring a camera and all that sort of bug and skin screen. Let's just hope no one is on bath salts when we go down to Florida...i'd hate to have any of my body chewed off.

• Members

All great advice. Drink a LOT of water during the day, even if it isn't sunny. Humidity will dehydrate you, and no matter how you try, sleep will elude you. You don't need to pass out on stage from heat exhaustion on top of sleep deprivation. I don't imagine you have a low energy show, so you're going to work your butts off on stage.

You're going to get to know your pals more than you might want to know in a short amount of time. It's like being married! One guy is always late, one farts a lot, someone doesn't wash his hands, but wants to touch all the food right after pooping... Remember, if there is talk about another tour, you might want to think about how to do it better next time.

Register your equipment serial #'s with law enforcement or an insurance company or SOMEONE before you leave!!! This way, if it gets stolen, you have a better chance of getting it back. I have pics of my serial #'s in my Facebook photos, believe it or not. No matter how tired you are DON'T LET ANYONE ELSE HANDLE YOUR GEAR!! You know how stuff gets stolen many times? Just walk up and say, "Dude you're tired, let me give you a hand..." Boom, gone. They don't have to break in, they don't have to worry about getting caught. They just walk off like they own it. Same when it comes to getting on stage. Hold your stuff tight and keep your eye on it. Believe me, I know it can get busy, and people are INSISTING that they want to help or it's their job.

Things that can help is making sure your road cases are ready to roll (if you're not using provided backline), and wiring diagrams for the techs on site if there are any. I'm sure you might have a stage plot, but be prepared for different stages and for some 'headliners' to make you put your stuff in awkward places because their stuff goes on and stays under sheets until it's their turn.

Good luck.

• Members

Maybe some of these things have been touched upon, but here are some of my observations from touring...

- Don't forget your mobile/cell charger, you'll be in a world of pain if you do!

- Any moment you can get some sleep, do it.

- If you're going to get liquored up, then make it the night before a day off.

- Wash your hands and just generally keep them clean. After a few gigs and hauling equipment around, your hands will start to come apart, starting with your nails. Keep them in good nick!

- Any time you need to drop a deuce, do it. Tour-constipation is bad enough, but if you're near a commode and nature calls, get it over with!

Archived