guitar rack question

• Members

hi, i am planning to build myself a guitar rack for the first time. I am new to the whole rack idea. This is what i was planning.

zakk wylde overdrive pedal

Furman pl-plus conditioner

TC Electronics - G major

Roland GP-100 Preamp

Carvin poweramp not sure which model yet dcm150 or something bigger

and either a carvin v3 cabinet or my computer speakers:confused:

is this a good beginners rack? how do i go about connecting these? can a dunlop crybaby be used to control the volume?

what midi controller you guys recommend besides the tc electronics g minor.

by the way there will be 1 space left in the skb rack case, do they sell some sort of lights system or something flashy that can be added just to make it look cooler?

Thanks.

• Members

The simple way to connect is:

OD pedal -> GP-100 -> G major -> power amp -> cab

The crybaby probably can be used as an expression pedal to control volume via MIDI but I'm not sure.

As far as MIDI controllers, the Behringer FCB1010 is very hard to beat.

If I were you, I would save up just a little more and get one of the Peavey Classic tube power amps. The Classic 50/50 is 2 rack spaces.

Jun

• Members

the carvin dcm150 is a good buy for SS rack power. i thought about selling mine, but i decided to keep it in order to run my pod xt and mp1 when i want to.

another alternative is a used peavey for a couple hundred used.

• Members

You don't need the G Major if you are getting the Roland GP100. It can do everything the G Major can do and more. Put the overdrive pedal in the effects loop of the GP100 so you can put the overdrive anywhere in the effects chain you want. So if you wanted the wah and compressor before the overdrive you can.

• Members

rockmaster1964

really? i was reading some reviews and they said to use the roland just for its preamp purposes and to use the g maor for its effects because the effects on the roland were weaker. hmm, well im getting the roland unit today since its a local sale, i will try it out before i get the g major. Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

so i finally bought these components.

peavey 50/50 classic tube power amp

peavey rockmaster preamp

peavey 412ms cab

i have a question about the power amp and cab.

the cab is 300w mono 16ohms/ 150w stereo 8ohms

the power amp 100w mono and 50w stereo with 2,4,8,16ohm switch.

the manual mentions about using 2,4 or 8ohms in mono and 4,8,16 in stereo, well if the cab is 16ohms mono cant i just switch it to 16? I dont want to fry the thing so i need advice.

also the poweramp fans are quite loud, i read reviews in which they say this poweramp is quite, well doesnt seem like it too me, i am planning on opening it up and cleaning it out, what cleaning materials is recommended?

• Members

I never liked the distortion preamp models on the roland. I did like the clean. I loved the effects on it. I used it for years. I replaced my Roland with the Digitech GSP 1101, both the effects and amp models are better than the Roland.

I have a GP-100, too. My experience is similar. It's a REALLY good unit for FX even by current standards, and it's a decent clean to light crunch sound preamp. I think of it as an FX unit first preamp second.

For rock and heavy stuff I almost always use another preamp or modeler in the GP-100s loop because its a really subpar heavy sounds preamp.

If I were you and I had the GP-100 already I'd keep it for FX, skip the G-Major, and get a preamp to put in the GP-100's loop.

• Members

the manual mentions about using 2,4 or 8ohms in mono and 4,8,16 in stereo, well if the cab is 16ohms mono cant i just switch it to 16? I dont want to fry the thing so i need advice.

In general, always follow manufacturers recommendations regarding impedances if you want to get the maximum reliability/lifespan from your gear. So, given what your manual says, I'd probably just run the power amp 50W Stereo @ 8 ohms and use the cab in the 8 ohm stereo mode, then you have no worries. 50W tube stereo power should be ultra loud. :love:

Archived