G System test drive

• Members

I spent between 3 & 4 hours testing out the G System yesterday with both my Marshall and my preamp a/bing them to the effects I'm currently using. Without a manual I was able to figure out how everything worked minus the expression pedal fairly quickly. Even in that case I figured out how to use it as a volume automation but I couldn't figure out how to set it to control the whammy. (Next time I'll be going back with a manual)

As far as sound quality goes I was particularly surprise with the chorus. The vintage chorus sounded much like my ce-2 without the extreme low end that has potential for mud with some guitars. The only weak point I thought was the phaser being EXTREMELY bright but that could be user inexperience. The interface was INCREDIBLY user friendly far better than my lexicon. I was able to dial in excellent reverb in under 10 minutes which would take far longer on the lexicon. Balancing delays and reverb together is much easier due to each effects block having a dedicated mix control instead of a shared mix for the processor. I ran out of time before trying to integrate my preamp and effects processor in the midi chain or pedals in the loops which will have to follow next time. Nor did I try it with more than one guitar, also something I will be doing next time.

The load time for me was instantaneous and the sound was great, the Lexicon MPX-G2 has a successor in every way.

Any users that read this chime in on what I could have done wrong with the phaser. Also explain how you integrate your other gear without it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

i always ran my phaser in loop 1...so that it could be "before" the preamp...cuz i like that sound better.

the g-system is a great idea on paper...but it needs more updates to truly be worthy of the cost. all the FX sounded great to me, easy to operate, versatile setup options...easily 95% of everything i could have wanted.

but the thing i just could not work around was the terrible delay or lag in switching channels on any and all my preamps or heads. it was just far too noticeable. my Rocktron Replifex switches channel instantly...as well as many other far less expensive FX units...i can't understand why the G-System can't be as fast?

just my $.02 worth.

• Members

i always ran my phaser in loop 1...so that it could be "before" the preamp...cuz i like that sound better.

the g-system is a great idea on paper...but it needs more updates to truly be worthy of the cost. all the FX sounded great to me, easy to operate, versatile setup options...easily 95% of everything i could have wanted.

but the thing i just could not work around was the terrible delay or lag in switching channels on any and all my preamps or heads. it was just far too noticeable. my Rocktron Replifex switches channel instantly...as well as many other far less expensive FX units...i can't understand why the G-System can't be as fast?

just my $.02 worth.

that's odd, I updated mine to the latest firmware (2.something at that time) and switching was instant - just like my g-major.. maybe you should check your software version ;) also, they just updated to version 3.0 with a new delay model included..

• Members

yep, i updated to the latest software...not sure, maybe i just had a faulty unit...but i could not get the switching lag to work no matter what amp i tried it with.

its still a good unit...i just had issues with the switching.

• Members

As far as sound quality goes I was particularly surprise with the chorus. The vintage chorus sounded much like my ce-2 without the extreme low end that has potential for mud with some guitars.

I love the sound of that. wub.gif

Archived