Zachman or anyone..some recording advice?

• Members

I know wrong forum, but I prefer this section and you guys.

So you know I like to make vids on youtube so give tone tests and I can never seem to get the right tones. I use two Shure SM57's and a Zoom H4 portable, right up against the grill...and have tried all the mic techniques and I have come to the conclusion that it either has to be my room or the Zoom. (Rhymes LOL)

The room is an attic that is finished with hard wood floors and has a concave ceiling. You see the pictures on my site.

Any suggesttions? I sucks as I want to make a vid of what the TA set up and the Diezel really sounds like. The cleans come out fine, but the dirties are always muffled even with the Bass turned down :(

Here is some clips. right up against the grill one on axis one off axis.

Cleans 1 JC-120

Diezel VH4S Dirty

Demo song, drums recording with the Shures and Zoom and I did all the over dubs...just rhythm...not done yet :)

• Members

Agreed. Those clips sound pretty good.

The cleans sound good, but the distortion does not do the amps justice. It is like night and day in person. Hmmmmmm:confused:

check your playback on something else because it sounds pretty damn good and aggressive on mine. I wouldn't tweek it too much hearing it here.

So John, you have one too? With external Mics? What do you mean by check the playback? I use the highest level of WAV file to record, then edit the volumes etc with Nero and make an MP3. Thanks guys!

• Members

You could also use a sennheiser e609 w/ the sm57 and blend them together. I can get real accurate results doing this.

+1

plus- You may also implement in addition to or instead of the 609, adding an ambient room mic about 3 feet away and at the height of your head when you're standing. Watch out for phase issues, but this technique works for me:

Clip recording w/ a Marshall 6100 using a mic off axis on the grill and 2 mics x/y axis 3 feet away at about 6' up in the air in front of the cab. Double tracked it and mixed them together to get this:

http://www.precioustime.us/MP3/Heartbreaker.mp3

http://www.precioustime.us/MP3/HellIsForChildren.mp3

• Members

your problem is your playback setup, not your mic/pres, etc. You need some real monitors and probably some type of room treatment. The clips sound good to everyone but you which means your hear a totally different sound when you play your tracks back.

• Members

well in all honesty I add EQ to that dirty track after I used the zoom to remove the muffled sound. :) Yeah it does sound OK, but I really want to capture what I hear live in the room. :thu:

One again John, do you use the Zoom H4 and External Mics for recording clips? ;) Songs I just use my POD XT and am fine for that. I use the Zoom H4 and 2 mics for 2 reasons

1 Jam rehearsals

2 Amp clips when I do a review on youtube and sync it to my movie.

So I am not trying to mix songs or clips just trying to make simple clips to show what the amps really sound like :)

• Members

well in all honesty I add EQ to that dirty track after I used the zoom to remove the muffled sound.
:)
Yeah it does sound OK, but I really want to capture what I hear live in the room.
:thu:

One again John, do you use the Zoom H4 and External Mics for recording clips?
;)
Songs I just use my POD XT and am fine for that. I use the Zoom H4 and 2 mics for 2 reasons

1 Jam rehearsals

2 Amp clips when I do a review on youtube and sync it to my movie.

So I am not trying to mix songs or clips just trying to make simple clips to show what the amps really sound like
:)

no, I haven't really done anything lately; Had an 8 track reel to reel, then I bought a Tascam 2488 that's been sitting on a shelf since I moved last year...meh the clips sound really good, better than 90% of what some people put up. I'm really surprised. Monitoring is what is killing you. The speakers that you listen to your recording on; those and probably the room has a bunch of standing waves and funky bass. Your speakers shouldn't be jammed in corners and low, reflective ceilings will give you fits.

Archived