A MIDI-controllable EQ unit?

• Members

Well, whenever I'm recording at the studio, I find that I'm constantly having to change EQ settings on the studio's ART unit to fit different songs or maybe even different parts of the same song (like clean sections, solo sections, etc.). Since I'll be replacing my pedal-heavy rig with a rack setup, I figured I might throw in an EQ unit as well. Problem is, I need my EQ unit to have the ability to store presets. Plus I should be able to call up these EQ presets on the fly with a MIDI controller. So have you guys got anything to suggest, preferrably on a low budget? ;)

• Members

Have a look at this thread. A few were mentioned there recently.

Another suggestion I have made before would be something like an old Alesis Quadraverb GT which had 3 band parametric, 5 band parametric, and 11 band graphic eqs built into different algorithms if you're looking for a real cheap cheerful solution.

• Members

Most high quality multi-FX boxes have really good guitar EQ's built in.

Stuff like the Behringer unit is made for PA applications and has neither the signal to noise ratios nor the correct frequencies for guitar applications.

Honestly, if you're in the studio, you should be EQing in post anyway. You can always cut later, you can never put stuff back.

The G-Force and Axe-FX units both have really nice parametric (and graphic for noobs) EQ's.

-W

Archived