Amp switchers?

• Members

Okay, I am twitching to run wet/dry/wet.

I have a 5150 I want to use as the dry and a Mesa Recto rig for the stereo.

100_6581.jpg

I need an amp switcher and A/B/Y signal splitter. Right now, I use the relays out of my G Major on the Recto Pre which controlls the 2:100 for "modern" mode. I also want to switch channels simultaneously on the 5150.

Is there something reletively simple that will use the relays and split the two relay contacts into four? Obvioulsy, there would be two sets of two not four indepant relays. This would be the most simple configuration.

Any reccomendations?

• Members

A Laney Babelswitch like I have would appear to be perfect if I read your description right. They're out of production and fairly rare though so it would be a case of scanning ebay I'm afraid.

It's the top unit in my rack. I have the manual as a PDF somewhere if you want a copy to read through and see if it would suit your application.

rackfront.jpg

It has four switches/relays but they are wired into two stereo jack sockets on the back of the unit. Two stereo jack cables (3 cores) and you should be good to go for switching purposes (bronze cables in the pic below). It also has two switchable loops which can be used to A/B switch if so desired (two sets of 4 mono jacks on the right of the unit as you look at it from the back.

rackback.jpg

• Members

It's probably a bit overkill (and I don't know about splitting the existing relays into two, but you could trigger new things with it or do it differently) but the RJM Music RG16 would certainly do everything you need and more. The videos by Dave Weiner on their website explain how to do pretty much what you're looking to do, I think. I'm certainly very happy with mine.

• Members

If you just need 4 relay switches, check out the Axess CFX4.

Posted for truth. I have one and its very simple to use and has worked without so much as a hiccup for over 2 years. I use it to switch my rockmaster via midi. No better customer service out there than mario either.

• Members

If you just need 4 relay switches, check out the Axess CFX4.

This looks cool. But it also looks like only a MIDI controlled relay switcher. If I read correctly I would still need some kind of A/B/Y signal splitter. yes?

Ideally, I would like one piece of gear that does it all without being a ton of overkill (which = extra $ spent on features I won't use).

Please keep the suggestions comming.

• Members

GCX will do all of that.

I was going to suggest this, as well. If you use your rig for live/stage use, the GCX and a Ground Control (MIDI footswitcher) will be perfect and you won't leave you with a ton of useless features. :poke:

The GCX can provide all of your switching, splitting, routing and preset recall. With this type of set up, a single tap of a switch will recall anything/everything you've programmed for any given preset, so no tap-dancing. The GCX also powers the Ground Control, so you'd have a lot neater/cleaner set up.

The GCX has 8 switches/loops. You could use 4 for switching, 2 for G-Major, 1 to switch between Recto/5150 or 1 for Recto in/out and 1 for 5150 in/out for using both at the same time.

This set up would solve all of your problems and give you the flexibility to add/modify future rigs. :thu:

Hope this helps.

• Members

I was going to suggest this, as well. If you use your rig for live/stage use, the GCX and a Ground Control (MIDI footswitcher) will be perfect and you won't leave you with a ton of useless features. :poke:

The GCX can provide all of your switching, splitting, routing and preset recall. With this type of set up, a single tap of a switch will recall anything/everything you've programmed for any given preset, so no tap-dancing. The GCX also powers the Ground Control, so you'd have a lot neater/cleaner set up.

The GCX has 8 switches/loops. You could use 4 for switching, 2 for G-Major, 1 to switch between Recto/5150 or 1 for Recto in/out and 1 for 5150 in/out for using both at the same time.

This set up would solve all of your problems and give you the flexibility to add/modify future rigs.
:thu:
Hope this helps.

GCX setup seems like more than I need. I already have a Roland FC-200 floor controller, which I believe has enough relays to do what I want. I just have no idea how to program it.

So, maybe what I need is a clue and a nice A/B/Y box...

• Members

What you have now will get you by. The idea of upgrading to the GCX would be for the following reasons:

1: An easy programming interface

2: Great customer support through the company as well as people here using the same or have used the save setup.

3 AND MOST IMPORTANT:

Easy room to expand

You will be able to hear the aby changing your tone unless you spend a good chunk on a high quality one. Buying once properly ends up being cheaper than ways to get you by until you can afford what's the best setup.

• Members

GCX setup seems like more than I need. I already have a Roland FC-200 floor controller, which I believe has enough relays to do what I want. I just have no idea how to program it.

So, maybe what I need is a clue and a nice A/B/Y box...

OK, good luck to ya.

• Members

What you have now will get you by. The idea of upgrading to the GCX would be for the following reasons:

1: An easy programming interface

2: Great customer support through the company as well as people here using the same or have used the save setup.

3 AND MOST IMPORTANT:

Easy room to expand

You will be able to hear the aby changing your tone unless you spend a good chunk on a high quality one. Buying once properly ends up being cheaper than ways to get you by until you can afford what's the best setup.

Hmmm. Good points. I was hoping this would be easier and cheaper.

Archived