How would I wire this up?

• Members

Basically, I've been running 2 rigs that I want to combine into one rack. I pretty much decided I needed to go rack when I realized that my pedalboard was bigger than my desk.

My rig is fairly simple. I have two amps -- a 50 watt plexi clone and a Super Reverb. I have been using a THD Hot Plate to calm the plexi down a bit and as a line out for the power amp/dry sound. So, my signal would go all effects-->front of the amp/ speaker out --> attenuator -->Carvin DCM150 power amp -->Dry cab. I would do this with both amps, depending on the gig.

I am tired of having to switch things for every gig, so I want to rack everything and do my switching via midi. It is a great sounding rig -- very vintage -- but it needs to be neater/ more portable/ less tone loss.

The effects I want in drawers are:

Analogman Sunface

FoxRox Octron

FoxRox Aquavibe

Retrosonic Phaser

Analogman KOT (4 jack)

Analogman Beano Boost

Mad Professor Mellow Yellow Tremolo

Diamond Memory Lane 2

TRex Replica

TRex Roommate

I already have a Furman AR15 Series II power conditioner that I scored from Craigslist.

I am thinking a RJM Effects Gizmo would work for the effects switching, or would I need something more? I need something for the amps as well. Its two amps and a DCM power amp. Any ideas? I run the tube amps wet and then use the line out + power amp as a dry. There is are 2 412 cabs (one for the plexi and another for the dry signal) and a Super Reverb combo.

Also, I'm looking at a used Axcess F1 or a new Liquidfoot Pro for foot controllers. However, I need something to connect a wah, volume pedal, and an expression pedal. How can I go about procuring a rack interface?

What about a line mixer? A friend is trying to sale his Sylsonic and I may jump on it if it would help my rig.

I want to be able to select either amp and run it in a wet/dry situation and I want to cut out tap dancing and cut down set-up time. So, I want to push a button to select an amp and then have all of effects available for that amp. Also, I want to have presets for my most commonly used tones. Instead of multiple channel amps, I use the guitar's volume control to go from dirty to clean.

I hope that makes sense! So, how would I go about setting this up?

Thanks

colin617

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm not a rack-mastermind by any standards, but I'll help with what I know... However; first I got a question. How can you have a dry-cabinet coming out of your amp when you have all your effects om front of the amp?

When it comes to wah-pedals... You'll either need to get a rack-mount wah with an expression-pedal, or put your wah on a board with whatever MIDI-controller you choose. Same goes for the volume-pedal. There are, however, effectsunits that will let you control both wah and volume thru expressionpedals. Nice if you're only using the volume for swells, and don't want it in your signalpath when you don't use it.

How do you wire this up? Well... I have a few ideas of how I would do it, but I can't seem to get my head around how you get your dry-signal without another preamp. A "normal"(in my mind) dry/wet would be something like... Guitar -> dirt -> amp input -> ABY box in the loop with one side going effects -> poweramp -> cab, and the other going back into the amp and then out through the cabs... However; if I'm misunderstanding your post correct, you have your timebased effects after the line-out on the THD? In that case...

Guitar -> wah and volume -> input of RJM effects Gizmo -> all pedals in the Gizmo. Then it becomes interesting. If I'm not too far off, you can use the loop outs of the Gizmo as outputs, meaning that you'll have two outputs from it going to each amp. But I would prefere it if someone could verify this before you try anything, as I'm somewhat out on the depths now... Then from the outputs of your amp's you'll need two THD's, with the DI-signal going back into the inputs of the loops where you patched your amps into the outputs, and then out from the Gizmo and into the wet-amp.

After that is done, you'll need to do the programming, but when it comes to this, I'm all blank.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I suggest a Rhodes Amplification Switching system...

I have a custom one that I call "the Abacus" that is freaking stellar... I think the best feature is that its dummy proof to program. I'm not a freaking computer expert and I don't want to spend 6 weeks programming my setup... I just want it to work..

He has an interface called the RCI. From his facebook profice "The RCI (Rhodes Custom Interface) is a bidirectional serial link that allows for daisy-chaining of devices. The amplifier, switcher, amp foot switch, and floor controller are all connected and know of one another and everything stays synced. This is a very powerful setup enabling dirt-simple programing. Select the preset, desired loops, amp channel(s), modes, and master volume -- hit store, and done!"

Its MIDI based but a lot easier to work with... google Rhodes Amplification or find him on facebook..

• Members

You should check out a Patchmate. they are only around $225.You might get by with that The next step is the Voodoo Lab GXC and Midi controler.That will be $500.Used on ebay or $800. NEW. It will do EVERYTHING you want.... And that other guy was Right!! You ramble on alittle with out being sure what you mean .You dont rack a Wha pedal. But, you can buy a rackwha from Dunlop, and useing All those FX and coming out "DRY" Go to VoodooLab.com there really good guys,And they even have a Forum with different setups:poke:

Archived