I need DMXIS help

Mbergmueller

• Members

I've been using DMXIS in stand alone mode for a couple of months and now want to try it as a plug in vst in Cubase 4 LE to sync to a prerecorded song. I have been able to use the midi learn to control a fader on DMXIS while playing a note but I want to use a midi note to select a bank(on midi ch 15) and a preset(on midi ch 16) but don't know how to assign it.

I am also having a problem selecting DMXIS as a VST instrument. Anyone using Cubase, can you help?

• Members

Hey There,

I use DMXIS as a plugin in Cubase 5 and it works flawlessly every time. The secret is to assign DMXIS to a group channel track, then make two midi tracks within the group track for channel 15 to change bank and 16 to change preset within the bank. Be aware, once you do this, any other way of controlling lighting is probably going to be unacceptable.

Also be aware that the banks and presets respond to note on events, and the first scene at the top of your preset list will respond to note 0 (The lowest note on the keyboard). You can not assign a scene to a particular note, so keeping the order of your presets organized is crucial. There are some huge advantages to doing things this way however, as you can use standard copy and paste on the verse and chorus sections of the song etc.

Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OpenMicRecording#p/u/13/zf9QIBxReNM

Let us know how it works out.

KaZaK

• 6 months later...
  • Members

That sounds good, I use CUBASE 5 as well, but I own a Chauvet X-FACTOR dmx device, which is similar to the DMXIS, but X-FACTOR requires Showxpress as its software, I was wondering if it is possible to to use the DMXIS software with the X-FACTOR since I paid $499 for it a while back. I'd really would like to not pay for another device.

http://www.audiolines.com/Lighting/Lighting-Controllers/Chauvet-ShowXpress-X-Factor

I see that my X-FACTOR has more features as seen in the link, I figure it could be used as just a DMX connection, and you can use it with any software.

Because I would like to incorporate

-midi light changes to my music dead on to the bpm,

-also have a drummers click track,

-extra layered audio,

-and also cue lights to video running in CUBASE 5.

Any thoughts? Would be much appreciated.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Hey There,

I use DMXIS as a plugin in Cubase 5 and it works flawlessly every time.

Here is an example: >snip

KaZaK

I've tried to get it working in both Cubase 2.2 and 5.1 but DMXIS doesn't show up in the plugin list (F11 key).

How are you getting it to work?

Ahhhhh - I think Flaat may have just answered my question.

Thanks

mako

• Members

I finally have it working in Cubase 2.2. My problem was in trying to bring it up as a VSTi which it is not. It is a VST and lists in the left side track area.

So - no - the hardware is not necessary to get the program working, but is necessary to output DMX.

Thank to all for the input.

cheers mako

Archived