Need advice in configuration for best sound quality

• Members

Hi guys,

Hope you can help me out with this one.

I am building a pair of speaker boxes to be used as PA system with a stereo amp and also to use to play my keyboard through.

I have decided to go with two 15" for the lows, 10" for the mids and bullet tweeters. I also be using an external crossover to seperate and mix the signals individually.

I was adviced however to use horns for the mid and tweeter horns for the highs which would provide a wider sound spectrum and quality.

Anyway I quite frankly have very little experience in such matter so I'd appreciate any advice you can give on this

• Members

My advice is to buy some good speakers. Speaker design is a complex process to get right. Why take the time and effort to build something that you can basically get for the same price, built by a reputable manufacturer. And there is no guarantee that what you build will even sound good, no matter what the drivers are, and then you have to make it look presentable as well. There is a lot more to it than which speaker goes where, and what shape should the box be.

If you really want to build your own speakers, you should either buy software to help you design it, or copy a proven design exactly. And if you still want to build some, I would probably start with a two way system.

Archived