Need help getting a vocal sound

• Members

Hi, I'm looking to get a vocal sound for my band that is really quite rough and almost distorted. Seeing as this is coming out of my bank I can't afford pro gear so suggestions on budget/mid priced mics and a preamp that will give me a really broken up kind of vocal sound.

Also any tips in setting it up would be awesome.

Thanks

• CMS Author

Hi, I'm looking to get a vocal sound for my band that is really quite rough and almost distorted. Seeing as this is coming out of my bank I can't afford pro gear so suggestions on budget/mid priced mics and a preamp that will give me a really broken up kind of vocal sound.

Also any tips in setting it up would be awesome.

Thanks

You can overdrive almost any mixer's mic channel by raising the gain to near clipping. This will definitely put a rough edge on the sound, but it does require careful adjustment and consistent singing and mic technique to keep the signal in the overdrive range and not go into clipping or go so low that it 'cleans up'.

• Members

You can overdrive almost any mixer's mic channel by raising the gain to near clipping. This will definitely put a rough edge on the sound, but it does require careful adjustment and consistent singing and mic technique to keep the signal in the overdrive range and not go into clipping or go so low that it 'cleans up'.

Yeah I thought that would work but was wondering if there was something that I could use that is more consistent than the quality of sound engineer and my mic technique, we sing and play guitar so are using stands and it's high energy so there's a lot of movement on stage, so I was thinking of buying an okay mic pre that would clip pretty quickly but I don't know where to start looking really.

• Members

Shure makes the 520DX which is supposed to emulate the "filthy" Chicago blues sound.I have not heard it but you might check it out.I think MF had it for 89.99.

Isn't that the Green Bullet Harmonica mic? Would that be able to handle metal style vocals?

• CMS Author

Yeah I thought that would work but was wondering if there was something that I could use that is more consistent than the quality of sound engineer and my mic technique, we sing and play guitar so are using stands and it's high energy so there's a lot of movement on stage, so I was thinking of buying an okay mic pre that would clip pretty quickly but I don't know where to start looking really.

An additional preamp would be no different than using the mixer's preamps....your mic technique will always affect the signal level. You would possibly remove the 'sound guy factor' from the equation, but are then saddled with the need to figure out a way to switch that preamp in and out of the signal on your own...unless of course you want that effect full-time. A compressor could be added in front to even out the dynamics and keep the preamp overdriving more consistently, but that would of course kill your vocal dynamics to whatever extent you compress.

• CMS Author

Isn't that the Green Bullet Harmonica mic? Would that be able to handle metal style vocals?

Yup that's the one, it was never intended to be a vocal performance mic....I think it was originally sold for use in industrial PA apps back in the day. It's a pretty {censored}ty mic, which could be perfect for what you need, but it will distort like crazy just about all the time. Might be worth trying if you can maybe find a harp player willing to let you borrow it.

• Members

Yup that's the one, it was never intended to be a vocal performance mic....I think it was originally sold for use in industrial PA apps back in the day. It's a pretty {censored}ty mic, which could be perfect for what you need, but it will distort like crazy just about all the time. Might be worth trying if you can maybe find a harp player willing to let you borrow it.

Haha excellent, I don't think I'll have much luck finding one to test though.

And I do want this effect on all the time, I'm a good shouter but I can't sing for {censored}, that's the other singers job.

Archived