Difference Between SM58 and SM58LC?

• Members

Hey guys!

Okay, I have lately become less than enthusiastic about the mic I have been using for many years, first the EV N/D 757 and then when that died about 8 months ago, I bought a 767a. Anyway, I have been finding lately that the mic is  making my voice sound too muddy and there is too much bottom which, I am able to EQ out to sound flat.

Now at first I thought maybe being an older guy that my voice was going, so I recorded myself singing with no mic and singing into my PA with the EV, and sure enough, I love the sound of my recorded voice with no mic, as it has all the high end I want and isn't muddy and "woofy" like it sounds like with the EV.

I came to a sort of an epiphany, which was that when I first bought the EV, I was in my twenties and had a very "treble-filled" voice, and I fell in love with the EV because it fattened my voice up, which...I guess, was a cheap fix back then. The problem is that as my voice has gotten better, I realize that I no longer need the cheap trick so I am thinking maybe an SM58 would be more for me.

So I went to Sam Ash and bought one, only I looked at the box and it is an "LC" model. Someone I know who does sound told me that there is a difference in the mics and that I am better off with the regular SM58. But when I Googled the differences between them, some sites are saying that it is the same mic only "LC" means "less cable," as in no cable included, and that it is otherwise identical.

Is this true?

Or should I return the LC and get the regular one?

Additionally, how much better is the Beta 58? Might I be better off with that, as this same friend told me he believes I definitely would be?

• Members

I've bought a few SM58's (and other mics) over the years. Only one of them came with a cable - the e835 in the package version. I sure do hope my other mics are okay... That was a "joke" BTW. Naturally you'll have to believe me, because everything you read on the internet is true :)  Now SM58's with a switch. What a pain they are, IMHO.

Archived