Triton Extreme vs Software Synths

• Members

I currently own a Korg X5DR module and a Korg M1 workstation. They are quite reasonable keyboards but have limitations. I am part of a musical family and both of these synths were in my house before I was interested in keyboard playing.

I am persuing a musical career. I did a one year music course at college last year and may start a degree, next year.

I have saved up about

• Members

Originally posted by HairyScaryMark

All these synths, apart from GPO had demo videos with someone playing them from a keyboard. This reasures me it is practical to play them in a live situation.

It shouldn't - the computer used to play 'm with is not hooked up to Internet when it's not necessary and only used for audio duties :).

There is probably little point on having 2 orchestra software synths. I believe the GPO strings to be more realistic but some of the other instruments on MOTU may win or just may be more practical to use in a band situation.

Well - do you want to have a general palette of sounds or a specialized one? If you're going to play live, a more general palette will probably be more practical; people won't see any real violin players on the stage, so they assume it's either recorded or synthetic anyway. Add to that that save for a few anoraks nobody's going to pay attention to how realistic it is, and you know the outcome :).

The Receptor from Muse Research probably looks like the most practical way of using software synths in a live situation.

It's also one of the most expensive ways, and it's got a number of restrictions. Comparing the specifications with current consumer stuff, the lowest models (and the price you have to pay) don't paint a favorable picture.

Baring in mind facts such as this and the potential other problems caused by using a PC in a live situation. I think the Korg Triton Extreme would be the best keyboard to start off my setup.

I think the 800 quid could be a dangerously low estimate :) That price will most certainly go up.

Do keep the following in mind; if you eventually are going to use a PC anyway, it makes sense to not pay for the features you're not going to use live - e.g. the sampler or possibly the sequencer.

• Members

800 Quid? You could buy a a new Alesis Fusion 6HD (61 key semi weighted) and have some money left over, or wait unti you have saved up 900 or so an get an 88 key version.

fusion_8.jpg

Sampler, VA synth, FM synth, PM synth, sequencer and HD audio record in one.

May even find some on ebay by now...

• Members

Thank you for your replies.

Originally posted by Khazul

800 Quid? You could buy a a new Alesis Fusion 6HD (61 key semi weighted) and have some money left over, or wait unti you have saved up 900 or so an get an

I saw a review of that in sound on sound. It looks quite good but I got the impression I may be better off with a Triton Extreme.

My friend got his 61 key Triton Extreme for

• Members

The fusion's weighted key feel is IMHO the best of the current romplers, but that a personal opinion, however my piano teacher also seems to share that view.

Ask someone with a Motif ES8 and they will probaly say thats their preference, same with a Fantom X8.. etc

Personally I rate the Fantom-X8 as scond best, best roland keyboards seem to have short keys which I dont like - I prefer deep keys.

• Members

the tex76 is a great keyboard. good weighted synth action and a huge amount of onboard patches; not to mention all the available patches @ sites like irish acts.

i also love soft synths and believe that they are a huge part of the future of our sound technology.

very tuff decision...

in your shoes i'd go with the tex76 and buy softsynths as possible &/or necesary.

if you want me to expand on this thought, let me know.

good luck & good music.

• Members

Originally posted by baldo

the tex76 is a great keyboard. good weighted synth action and a huge amount of onboard patches; not to mention all the available patches @ sites like irish acts.

Case in point - I think the Triton Extreme 76 has a horrible feeling keyboard - yeuch!! *spit*...

Archived