For all you Hoover geeks =o]

Acid Hazard

• Members

I was bored and decided to try and emulate the "What The?" patch from the aJuno on my SH-201. I tried using an image of the SoundDiver editor and the actual EZaplha editor for the proper parameters, but it wasn't working out, so i did it totally by ear. The aJuno has a bite and urgency that i couldn't quite get on the SH-201. I don't know if the pitch eg is tighter on the Juno, or it's the way the Juno does it's PWM. This is as close as i could get. I think it's fairly close. These are 8 bars loops. 4 bars of just synth and 4 bars with a backing beat. If anyone likes them, i can upload the patch for any 201 owners.

Hoover 1

Hoover 2

• Members

Didn't think it was necessary for such a small amount of audio.

Well, thing is that for the size you spend on a .wav file you can have an entire track, so then it's kind of a bummer to only have a few seconds ;). It always pays off to make an mp3 :).

• Members

Didn't think it was necessary for such a small amount of audio. I'll give your ideas a try.

I thought that a Chorus is a short delay with pitch modulation and the SH-201 is capable of this according to the manual. Why this is not quite the same as a "normal" Chorus??

• Members

That is a great sound, very meaty and chewy. I think it sounds cool as it is.

Chorus and flanging are both achieved by applying a delay time that is a constant plus a modulated value to the original input signal and feeding it back into the input. The delay time that you set is the constant and the depth is the degree of modulation. The only difference between chorus and flange is the delay time (shorter time delay for flanging). Some simpler chorus pedals have a fixed constant value for the delay. The constant delay time on the original MXR flanger was called the "manual" control. Some people hooked up a pedal with a device to turn the manual knob using the pedal (or you could try to do it using the little rubber pad that shipped with the pedal). These effects were originally achieved by putting a constant pressure on the reel of a tape machine delay and wiggling the device applying the pressure in some way (e.g. pressing a finger against the reel and wiggling it).

• Members

I thought that a Chorus is a short delay with pitch modulation and the SH-201 is capable of this according to the manual. Why this is not quite the same as a "normal" Chorus??

A Chorus is designed to do that particular task. While using the delay doesn't yield quite the same results as a proper chorus effect. I have the time all the way down and depth all the way up. It's not the same as if it had a dedicated chorus on it. Def not the same as the old Roland Chorus effect =o]

• Members

it's nice to see Mr Computer Controlled aka Larry aka Acid Hazard here. do you have WI state IDs for all those aliases? i was thinking about getting one for "Suit & Tie Guy" myself because i'm sick of people asking me what my real name is so they can immediately forget it.

the evolveroover is IMHO better than the SH-201 hoover, but they're both musically useful. i never really used the AJ1 for more than bass and a vocoder carrier, which means i don't know my hoover from a hole in the ground so my opinion is probably meaningless but because i'm inside the internet i'm going to post anyway because that's what the kids do nowadays.

has anyone ever just sampled a vacuum cleaner for their hoover sound?

i remember when Distortech first said "i need an alpha juno so i can get that hoover sound again. can you find me one?" i thought "well {censored}, man i've already got a sampler."

Amos aka Control Voltage's hoover is pretty cool as well, it for some reason sounds like Keith Emerson made a hoover sound. hopefully Amos realises that's a compliment.

• Members

Distortech claims another source for the phrase "hoover" is "hovercraft", but the vacuum cleaner makes more sense.

which reminds me, if you put a hoover line in some acid which is just a 303 and 909 completely dry and overdriven like a mother{censored}er is that "hard hoover handbag house"?

Archived