Roland keyboard sending doble notes to Cakewalk?

Prog

• Members

A guy was showing me how his Roland keyboard was resulting in duplicate notes when sent to the Cakewalk sequencer.

Sure enough, when a single quarter note was played, it appeared in Cakewalk with TWO staves on the note. :confused: Upon playback, it sounded the note twice. Only the MIDI OUT of the Roland is being used. :freak: It was a Roland rompler from about 1997, so there shouldn't be any ancient MIDI problem (I guess).

I recall reading something about this a few years back. Anyone recall a problem with Roland's MIDI data producing duplicate notes? Is it something to do with Note Off commands, maybe?

• Members

Thanks for the help. Some further info:

The keyboard was swapped with an Ensoniq and an Ion: no problem occurred.

Finale software was used instead: SAME problem. :mad:

Only a single layer was active, and only one MIDI channel was set up to record.

The interface is a MidiSport 2x2 via USB.

I know I read something about this a few years back, but I can't remember what the reason was. Note Offs are being sent as a zero velocity notes (hence, two notes)?

I don't know about Cakewalk but in Cubase this problem is caused by the midi interface and using/not using emulated ports.

I'll look into this kind of thing. Perhaps if a soft-MIDI Thru is engaged or not? The 2x2 only has 1 port.

• Members

I know I read something about this a few years back, but I can't remember what the reason was. Note Offs are being sent as a zero velocity notes (hence, two notes)?

I'll look into this kind of thing. Perhaps if a soft-MIDI Thru is engaged or not? QUOTE]

I don't think it's a note-off command as you would see it as different note-start times in the sequencer. If the notes start times are identical (or off by 1 clock-tick) it would have to be either a CC (like velocity or AT) being mis-interpreted as Note-On, or more than likely, a Soft-Thru switch within the Roland sending original and Echoed data. Try playing a note and applying a CC like pitch-bend and see if it is duplicated as well. That would definately point towards soft-thru.

Archived