Native Instruments free Kore Player

mildbill

• Members

they may have the free downloads bandwidth limited. I got mine DL'ed overnight, but haven't installed yet. If there's more than 10 presets, I'm happy. It should just tease you into buying the full product. A buddy at the studio has KOMPLETE KONTACT or both or whatever it is and it has loads of great stuff in it. Like EVERYTHING! A freebie of some of that will be awesome

• Members

I don't see any way to edit the sounds so this is like NI's answer to Arturia's Analog Factory. It does have some interesting features, though.

You get eight knobs that you can map (globally) to MIDI controls and then there's eight "scenes" for each patch that you can either select or morph between using a mouse (reproduces the Kore 2 hardware interface).

The bulk of the supplied presets are from Massive, but there's at least a couple from every NI product. You get just enough free patches (55) to tease you into buying some "Soundpack" expansions ($59 each). The synth expansions (Absynth, Reaktor, Massive) give you 200 presets each with 8 variations preprogrammed.

• Members

It's basically done as a promo for the other apps. If you're just a preset player who wants some real time control, the player and a couple of the packs should keep you happy.

However, the real kahuna's still the Kore/Komplete combo. Add to that the third party plugins of your choice, and you have a nice unified control surface/host/plugin to handle most anything you'd throw at it.

Your Kore and Kore player forums moderator,

ew

• Members

I think it sounds great and has some nice presets. This inspired me to also get the INDEPENDENCE FREE 2.0 player and it's 2GB sound pile. It's pretty cool to. The drums and guitars in both impressed me the most. The plain drums in the KORE sound like perfectly recorded live drums. Some of the best drums I've heard yet

• Members

However, the real kahuna's still the Kore/Komplete combo. Add to that the third party plugins of your choice, and you have a nice unified control surface/host/plugin to handle most anything you'd throw at it.

Novamusik has the full version of Kore 2 and Komplete 5 for $999. I have been staring at it for a while now...

• Members

ew,

How come NI dropped the audio interface from Kore2? I'd like to see
more
controllers with audio interfaces built in, saves on space and cabling spaghetti.

There's a couple reasons:

1) Most of the first gen Kore users had audio interfaces already

2) Support issues. A USB interface is going to use more CPU for an equivalent latency- period. And, there were a few machines where the original controller was using massive amounts in the background; it was very fussy about motherboard chipsets and how the chipset handled USB streams. I had two systems (3500+ with 2 GB RAM) that were identical except for the chipset used in the motherboard; one used between 0 and 2% when running, and the other used between 4-10%. And, the original Kore came out before the MS dual core patches- with dual core machines, some saw up to 35-40% on one core for the audio driver alone.

Mine runs on my current machine at between 3-7% of one core. It's high, but I've got enough headroom on my machine so it doesn't make much difference.

ew

• Members

Is it more than just a way to keep your patches from NI organized?

It sure is. Think of it as a chainer/editor/librarian with a dedicated control surface that works with almost all of your plugins (there are some exceptions; hence the almost all).

ew

Archived