What was used on the intro to "Why Can't This Be Love" by Van Halen?

rlm297

• Members

pretty sure it's the same Oberheim OBX-a he used for Jump using an arp in the VERY beginning...

I agree, though I can't say for sure. Eddie likes his OBX-a. I love the Oberheim sound and I can't friggin wait for those new SEMs to be shipped. Such a warm and juicy sounding synth :love:

PS. That video, well the music, is hilarious

• Members

No. No it's not. While he used the Oberheim on 1984, the video above clearly shows him using a Kurz. You can even read Kurzweil on the top if you look closely.

-Mc

I have played an Oberheim OB-8 and I can assure you that the aforementioned patch is the the sound used on the original recording of "Why Can't This Be Love". It is identical.

You are correct in saying that the OB-Xa was used on "1984" but I remember reading that he switched to using the OB-8 as his primary synth shortly afterwards and considering that the song was released in 1986 this would all tie in. There is no doubt that he is playing a Kurzweil in the video but, and I may be wrong, but wasn't that only a keyboard sampler and therefore not capable of analog synth sounds? Furthermore could he not have just sampled the OB-8 into it? Given its superior reliability and flexibility it would probably be a better choice for live work anyway.

• Members

He used the K250 as a MIDI controller as well as for its internal sounds if I remember an old interview or two correctly. So its either a sampled OB8 sound or he had it MIDIed to one offstage. I think its probably the latter, as the K250 had a kind of kludgey sampling setup: you needed it attached to a Mac to load and save samples.

• Members

Well, I went and dragged out an Oberheim OB8 and sure enough factory preset ABC8 sounds just like it. However, that is a unison patch (on the OB8) and you can clearly see that Van Halen is playing some of it polyphonically. So that rules out that the Kurzweil is MIDIed to an OB8 for that sound. Another matter is that there is no MIDI cord coming out of the Kurzweil in the video...

• Members

Another matter is that there is no MIDI cord coming out of the Kurzweil in the video...

I wouldn't put it past them to have that synth part pre-recorded off stage and the synth on stage is just a prop. Hell, that would explain why several broken keys wouldn't make a difference. Seems odd that they would use that for a live video to be sold though but it's still a good possibility.

-Mc

• Members

I just had a look at the video and I don't think the keys were broken. If you look closely you can see that on the bottom the B is missing. And it looks like the top, Db and possibly Eb are missing. If he was using the Kurz, which is 88-keys to control the OB which is 61-keys, I think he removed these keys so he could quickly see where the top and bottom of the OB's keyboard is.

Archived