Cleaning J-Wires on Prophet 5?

Pawnz

• Members

Hi All,

I have a Prophet 5 (Rev. 3) with a couple of notes that are slow to trigger and/or break up ("spit") after they initially sound. I suspect the J-Wires are simply in need of cleaning/contact spray, as this has previously resolved the issue with other notes that exhibited similar behavior. I have always taken the P5 into the shop to have a technician clean the J-Wires, but I'm wondering if I can handle this operation myself. Does anyone have any experience doing this with a P5? How accessible are the J-Wires? Any recommendations/tips? Any particular type of contact cleaner recommended?

Thanks!

• Members

Working for me?

Heres the info: from http://prophet5.org/viewtopic.php?t=...31dcda0 4bdeb (hope its of some use).

The J-Wire keyboards don't really need to be cleaned like the carbon contact keyboards. Most likely what is happening is that the J-Wire itself is bent upward too much .. this can easily be corrected by just tugging on it (while the keyboard is in service position) until it hits the buss bar, but then springs back a bit. If you look at a 'good' prophet 5 keyboard the j-wires are usually not uniform .. its its really impossible.

The sticky keys are due to the bushings just being old and dried out. When the keys are 'resting' there is quite a bit of pressure from the back of the key where the spring is holding it 'up' as a result, the two bottom flanges on the bushings just get mashed and become flat .. so you get this really noisey clacky feel on some keys. Also the bushings can crack and literally fall apart and cause the keys to stick.

Installing bushings is a bit of work .. there is a short cut to doing it without taking the keyboard apart, but I personally don't recommend it.

In fact, if you take the entire keyboard apart you can really clean it up and get it functioning and feeling like new in about 2 hours worth of labor. A couple of people had bushings re-made and you can get a set of 61 for about $40. If you want to do this, and I've done it on any Pratt Reed keyboard I have to play, contact arcsound@ix.netcom.com (website is http://home.netcom.com/~arcsound/) and tell him you heard about him from prophet5.org

Archived