Can software and midi 88key controller do the same as a Kronos or Motif XF8

videorov

• Members

All this talk people say just get a computer and software packages to make a workstation. But can they do all of the same things layering, sampling etc as fast and
the others. I never see pictures of any of these systems and people using them on stage. Maybe there are people using them, I would like to see pictures of them and what they are using and what they will do.

• Members

On stage, people rarely use "workstation" features, even if they're playing a workstation. Sampling and sequencing are not the most typical on-stage functions.

But I think you are also touching on a real issue in that most current "controllers" are designed to be used with DAW software, and are not great live performance control surfaces (unlike the controllers of many years ago). Even if you're using computer-based sounds, I think "workstations" are often arguably better than today's dedicated "controllers" for triggering those computer based sounds in a live environment. Kurzweil PC3 series boards, for example, are pretty strong performance MIDI controllers.

Although for fast on-the-fly splitting and layering of sounds, I think the Jupiter 50/80 interface might be best right now (for its own sounds, not computer-based ones).

As for someone exclusively using computer + controller for live performance, I believe Eddie Jobson's rig is a couple of VAX77 controllers running a couple of MacBooks.

• Members

I take it you are looking for workstation functionality in a live setting (which I'm having a bit of trouble picturing; possibly because I play just oldschool rock with no sequencing wink.gif)

I don't quite trust computers and the additional connections live (and I'm a computer programmer)...I'd have to either have another laptop or hardware synths as backup. I have Logic on a macbook, and set up a bunch of stuff in Mainstage (which is designed for live use). Really cool software. I set everything up in there, works great at home...get to practice and I have all sorts of issues starting with usb...rest of the guys sit there for 10 minutes while I fumble with a computer, not exactly fun....There's something to be said for plugging in and GO.

For at-home composing I far prefer a DAW. Sounds shallow but by far the greatest thing ever to me is being able to avoid programming and saving your patches on the keyboard; the sequence saves all the softsynth tweaks and settings in the song. Also going from playing a track to rendering it out for listening is all right there, no audio to patch etc. I guess there are some boards that do integration, which is nice if it works well (I have no idea).

• Members

My initial reaction when reading the topic was NO WAY!!!! !!!!

But after I thought about it for like 5 seconds, I realized that yes, you can accomplish the same things but it won't be as easily or work together as well. I debated gigging with a mini computer running Korg's Legacy Collection and a light controller. But doing key splits or other simple tasks like layering sounds are nearly impossible, especially in a live situation where you need to do everything quickly.

• Members

Well there are things like Mainstage for the Mac, or Forte and Cantible for the PC that will let you set up various splits and layers and stacks to get what you need set up for a gig. From what I remember of Forte and Cantible, they were not "easy" to set up, but I'd have to say it can be done.

I'm also a firm believer that if I go that route, I'd want to trigger it from a workstation that also had my programs and combis set up as a backup. That way, if the PC/Mac (or even Receptor) goes down, I can still finish the gig with good sounds and not cheap sound.

I also agree with what Scott said that they don't make MIDI controllers like they used to. Most are designed to stay at home and connect to your PC, not sure how road-worthy they are. But they probably did that to cut corners and keep the prices down as well.

• Members

I am really enjoying gigging with my Motif XF6.

I set up "Pattern Mixes" for different songs. For example, one channel may be piano across the entire keyboard. Another channel may be a split with piano in bass and flute in upper end. Another channel may be a split with piano in bass and a synth lead in upper end.

In this example, I can play a ostinato piano pattern with my left hand and push one button to get either piano, flute or synth with my right hand. The cool thing on the XF is there is absolutely no hiccup in the piano sound when I select another channel.
Also, one button push sure beats using a mouse.
I don't think that a computer/ soft synth performance setup can match that.

Archived