Beginner: quesitons about workstation purchase and sequencing vs. recording

binaryjeff

• Members

Hey all.  I'm new to the forum and synths/workstations, and am looking to make my first purchase.  Here's what I'm looking for:

• Built in sounds.  I lack the free time and skill to create my own sounds.
  • I'm interested in arranging and composing new age/soundtrack/ambient if that matters at all.
  • Built in multi-track recorder/sequencer.  See question 2 below.
  • Ability to export mastered (I don't know what that technically is) wav audio files.
  • Use without a computer.  I'm a software developer and frankly am tired of staring at screens by the end of the day.  I understand I will be giving up some capibilities but being new I'm probably easily impressed anyways.
  • Just a synth/workstation.  I don't want a mess of external hardware, cables, etc.
  • (optional) Recording other instruments.  I fiddle with guitar and woodwinds.
  • (optional) 61 keys for space saving.  Will not be travelling with it.

Can you please help me with the following:

1. I'm currently looking at the Juno Gi.  I guess my budget is under 2k, but I'd certainly feel better under 1k seeing as how this is a new adventure.  I'm lost when it comes to used/older hardware that may meet my needs.  Do you know other options that I should consider?
  2. Recording vs. Sequencing.  As you can see from my requirements above, I don't really intend to use MIDI output at all.  So any sequencing I do will be on the keyboard.  In my reading someone mentioned the Juno G has a sequencer and the Juno Gi does not.  How likely am I to be frustrated by the lack of a sequencer?  Is the ability to "punch in/out" and re-record a small portion of a track a realistic alternative to a sequencer?  Not sure how to word this, but is the experience of doing only live recordings any more satisfying/frustrating than "programming" the notes I screw up with a MIDI sequencer?

Thank you!

• Members

binaryjeff wrote:

Hey all.  I'm new to the forum and synths/workstations, and am looking to make my first purchase.  Here's what I'm looking for:
  • Built in sounds.  I lack the free time and skill to create my own sounds.
  • I'm interested in arranging and composing new age/
    soundtrack/
    ambient if that matters at all.
  • Built in multi-track recorder/sequencer.  See question 2 below.
  • Ability to export mastered (I don't know what that 
    technically
    is) wav audio files.
  • Use without a computer.  I'm a software developer and frankly am tired of staring at screens by the end of the day.  I understand I will be giving up some capibilities but being new I'm probably easily impressed anyways.
  • Just a synth/workstation.  I don't want a mess of external hardware, cables, etc.
  • (optional) Recording other instruments.  I fiddle with guitar and woodwinds.
  • (optional) 61 keys for space saving.  Will not be travelling with it.

Can you please help me with the following:
  1. I'm currently looking at the Juno Gi.  I guess my budget is under 2k, but I'd certainly feel better under 1k seeing as how this is a new adventure.  I'm lost when it comes to used/older hardware that may meet my needs.  Do you know other options that I should consider?
  2. Recording vs. Sequencing.  As you can see from my requirements above, I don't really intend to use MIDI output at all.  So any sequencing I do will be on the keyboard.  In my reading someone mentioned the Juno G has a sequencer and the Juno Gi does not.  How likely am I to be frustrated by the lack of a sequencer?  Is the ability to "punch in/out" and re-record a small portion of a track a realistic alternative to a sequencer?  Not sure how to word this, but is the experience of doing only live recordings any more satisfying/frustrating than "programming" the notes I screw up with a MIDI sequencer?

Thank you!

You wrote your question very well, so you will find this guide useful and easy to understand:

http://tweakheadz.com/guide-to-home-and-project-music-studios/

Really worth going through all his content!

There are many reasons for Midi but in this age of computers which you want a break from some could have a non midi set up and manipulate audio... each has its hassles... but think of it this way if you like physical gear, one day you may buy a sound module and need midi...

If you go hardware soon you will need a mixer and other gear, look through the pics here also:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Keys-Synths-amp-Samplers/Hey-Ma-Look-Im-a-synthesist-studio-pics-gear-list-thread/td-p/249523/jump-to/first-unread-message

:smiley-welcome:

• Members

all in one workstation type synth on a budget?

korg Kross

it as 16 mididchanel sequencer plus a 2 channel audio track, lots of presets and a programable arp that can be used for drum/bass patterens too.

it's lightweight and low cost yet still packs a decent punch sound wise.

also in the frame:

korg krome

Yamaha MOXF 6

Archived