FW interface advice needed

hammon

• Members

Hi!

Thanks Craig for the really useful and well done review on the Onyx 400F.

I'm in progress of buying a FW interface and I really have a hard time choosing. My criterias are decent sound and a problemfree environment.

The things I'm gonna connect to it is a Virus TI, a Microwave XT, Pod 2, a guitar and a bass. Recording is done in Cubase SX.

For the guitar and bass I want to be able to record a clean signal and at the same time monitor through the Pod.

Some outs are also going to be connected to the audio ins of the Virus and Microwave, with source easy selectable.

The interfaces I am considering are:

MOTU 828mkII

Pros: Programmable from the front for standalone mixing purposes, cheap

Cons: Doesn't work well with some FW chipsets on PC's

Presonus Firepod

Pros: Cheap, good support for PC's?

Cons: No internal routing, all inputs on the front, no adat expansion option

Presonus Firestudio (released march?)

Same as Firepod but internal routing, adat interface and a bit more expensive

RME Fireface

Pros: Does everything I need, good PC support

Cons: Expensive

Mackie Onyx 400F

Pros: Cheap but good quality

Cons: No adat expansion option

All interfaces are within my budget but chosing a cheaper one would leave some extra money to get something else like an acoustic guitar, another synth or some decent monitors.

I'm fed up with computertroubles and really want a solution that works without hazzles.

If someone like to give their view on the matter it would be greatly appreciated.

/Micke

• Members

Well, I think you've pretty much nailed the pros and cons. I'd add the following:

Mackie - great mic pres. Since doing the review, though, I've been told the Mac drivers aren't as fast as the Windows ones, if that matters for you.

RME Fireface - bulletproof operation, but yeah, it's pricey particularly given the Euro/dollar imbalance right now.

PreSonus - I have become increasingly impressed with their products and quality. I think that right now, they've found a really good "sweet spot" of price vs. performance.

I honestly thing that by and large, they're all good and will work for you. It's the details in one vs. the other that will be the dealmakers or dealbreakers.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Well, I think you've pretty much nailed the pros and cons. I'd add the following:

Mackie - great mic pres. Since doing the review, though, I've been told the Mac drivers aren't as fast as the Windows ones, if that matters for you.

RME Fireface - bulletproof operation, but yeah, it's pricey particularly given the Euro/dollar imbalance right now.

PreSonus - I have become increasingly impressed with their products and quality. I think that right now, they've found a really good "sweet spot" of price vs. performance.

I honestly thing that by and large, they're all good and will work for you. It's the details in one vs. the other that will be the dealmakers or dealbreakers.

Hi there Graig,

This is my very first post in the forum. I had the chance to read parts of your detailed pro reviews. I am considering an FW audio interface as well. Most parts of my music are midi and some captured audio. You happen to be know very well the audio- sound industry. My question is where the M-audio sound attributes fit in the above Mackie, RME, Presonus league ? Thanks :)

Archived