can someone please answer my dumb interface questions for motu 8pre?

ftngrave

• Members

I have some questions about the motu 8pre I was hoping someone might be able to answer. These might be elementary, but I'm somewhat new to the digital domain.

Does the 8pre support unbalanced inputs?

Will the TRS inputs accept line level sources correctly?

If I wanted to run an external mic preamp into the 8pre via a motu TRS input, will the motu preamp further color the sound when the signal has already been preamped by the external preamp before getting to the motu?

The 8pre has only 2 main outputs, can each of these be used as mono outputs to outboard effects and be returned via another input on the motu? Can this sort of routing be done on the computer?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Yes, any balanced TRS will accept unblanced TS inputs.

If I wanted to run an external mic preamp into the 8pre via a motu TRS input, will the motu preamp further color the sound when the signal has already been preamped by the external preamp before getting to the motu?

Nothing is colorless.

The 8pre has only 2 main outputs, can each of these be used as mono outputs to outboard effects and be returned via another input on the motu? Can this sort of routing be done on the computer?

If you were to send only the tracks you wanted the fx on, and printed them, making damned sure the input tracks are muted so they didn't feed to the outs and cause one hell of a loop, theoretically, yes.

• Members

I believe the onboard preamp applies only to the balanced (XLR) input, not to unbalanced (1/4") input. If you take the line from your external mic pre and connect with the 1/4 input, the MOTU pre will not be in use. I could be mistaken

• Members

"I believe the onboard preamp applies only to the balanced (XLR) input, not to unbalanced (1/4") input. If you take the line from your external mic pre and connect with the 1/4 input, the MOTU pre will not be in use. I could be mistaken"-

thanks a lot for the info. that's precisely what I'm wondering, and was thinking was the way it should work; does anybody else know for sure, or has one so they could let me know?

Archived