Vocal Eliminator

drumrdood

• Members

I am looking for either a hardware or software alternative which leaves the music alone as much as possible. Something better than $39 - $100 hardware or software all of which remove any center panned mono material (Alesis, et. al.) Unfortunately, I can't afford a Thompson EV4 (about $2000 - $2500) which I am told is the best VE available.

Any suggestions?

• Members

I am looking for either a hardware or software alternative which leaves the music alone as much as possible. Something better than $39 - $100 hardware or software all of which remove any center panned mono material (Alesis, et. al.) Unfortunately, I can't afford a Thompson EV4 (about $2000 - $2500) which I am told is the best VE available.

Any suggestions?

Buy karaoke versions of songs.

Seriously...there is no such thing as a true vocal eliminator.

• Members

Thanks Cooter I agree and understand that there is no such thing as a true vocal eliminator. The quality of the removal depends on software or firmware algorithms. Most simply phase-cancel mono material and there is no frequency discrimination to the cancellation and so anything mono is baselined and that's why you hear airy phasing artifacts and much of the time the bass and alot of the drum tracks get phase-cancelled as well. From what I have read about the Thompson vocal "eliminator" (thier choice of terminology, not mine), their TVE4 technology also considers vocal and instrument frequency ranges and does a much better job of removing vocals. But I can't afford a couple grand for it and I'm looking for something between Mike's suggestion and a TVE4 (I tried it Mike, but the quality was too poor - thanks anyway). Any other ideas, folks? I've got a couple hundred bucks tops for a budget.

By the way Craig Anderton (if you read these) I go way back to the days of PAIA kits and Dynaco stereo kits and have been reading your articles and words of wisdom for years. As a working musician and studio owner / engineer, I really appreciate your contribution to the industry and art of making music.

Sincerely,

"Drumrdood"

Patrick Anthony

Charlotte, NC

Archived