The unsung issues of this election year

veracohr

• Members

In this year of heated political campaigns and strong national and global concerns, some election issues may fall by the wayside. But let us not forget them completely.

What do you think of zoos?

There is a measure on my local ballot regarding funding for the zoo. It would provide money to update facilities, improve conditions and infrastruture, etc. The money would come from a relatively minor increase in property taxes (although, as a renter, I may not have a very personal sense of what is or is not a "minor" increase in property taxes).

The thing is, I don't like the idea of zoos.

I'm not all militant about it or anything. I haven't been to a zoo since I was a kid, but mostly because it didn't seem interesting. However, over time I have gradually come to an opinion that sticking animals in small enclosures surrounded by a lot of noisy people staring at them is just not very nice. I know I wouldn't like it. In my opinion, if you want to help a threatened or endangered species, set up a reserve for them, not a gallery.

In our Voter's Pamphlet, they had 17 "Arguments For" and 2 "Arguments Against". It's no surprise that the majority think zoos are a good thing. So I know that a minority opinion won't have much sway, and voting against on basic principle won't do any good. The zoo will still be there, so I might as well vote for to improve the living conditions of the animals there, right?

So, on more of a philosophical ground than a political one, what do you think of zoos?

• Members

I'm sure some zoos are not so great, but I would think improving them would be the way to go, not abolishing them.

We need to teach people to admire, love, and appreciate animals and birds. Zoos have a long history of inspiring people to care more for, respect, and admire the incredible animal inhabitants of the planet.

Now if I was going to go after some institution that confines and degrades the lives of animals, I would go after the cattle feed lots, the chicken farms, the pig lots, and so on. Those places are truly horrific - zoos are in contrast very heavens compared to those torture camps.

nat whilk ii

Archived