— With UA’s new groundbreaking Unison technology, this new plug-in collection delivers the first genuine representation of the UA 610 preamp’s revered tube character —
SCOTTS VALLEY, CA • February 20, 2014 —When Universal Audio founder Bill Putnam Sr. introduced the 610 Modular Amplifier preamp in 1958 it was a milestone in audio history. The 610 is famous among record producers for its harmonic detail, clipping characteristics, and ability to overdrive in a warm, musical fashion. The original 610 preamp was integral to countless legendary recordings — from the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds to Johnny Cash’s landmark At Folsom Prison. Its modern variant, the 610-B, helped create new classics by Adele and Cold War Kids.
The 610 plug-in collection includes both the classic 610-A model and modern 610-B hardware, and represents the first comprehensive modeling of this hallowed preamp design — including its tube and transformer components and unique distortion characteristics.
For Apollo Twin and Apollo DUO/QUAD users, the 610 collection works in conjunction UA’s new Unison™ technology, an exclusive analog/digital integration system that enables continuous, realtime, bi-directional control and interplay between Apollo’s physical hardware and UAD software mic preamp models. With Unison, the Apollo mic preamp’s analog impedance, gain stage sweet spots, and component-level circuit behaviors are adjusted in real time to accurately emulate the target mic preamp model.
Universal Audio’s API Vision Channel Strip Plug-In
is now also Unison-enabled via a free firmware update in UAD Software v7.5, allowing Apollo users to capture the authentic circuit behaviors of the Vision’s timeless 212L preamp.
*Owners of the UA 610-B Tube Preamp Plug-In can upgrade to the full 610 Tube Preamp & EQ Collection for $149.
Key Features: UA 610 Tube Preamp & EQ Collection
- Includes the 610-A and 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ plug-ins, each with their own sonic attributes and feature sets
- Models 610-A and 610-B’s entire electronic path — including tube amplifiers and transformers, complete with circuit nonlinearities and dependencies
- Physical analog input impedance switching and front panel control of Gain staging and other preamp parameters via Unison technology for Apollo Twin and Apollo DUO/QUAD owners
- Requires UAD-2 DSP Accelerator Card or Apollo Interface, available from authorized dealers worldwide
Key Features: Unison Technology
- An exclusive analog/digital integration system already built into every Apollo mic preamp
- Enables Apollo mic preamps to sound and behave like the world's most sought-after tube and solid state preamps — including their all-important impedance, gain stage “sweet spots,” and component-level circuit behaviors
- Continuous, realtime, bi-directional control and interplay between Apollo’s physical hardware and UAD software preamp model
About UAD Powered Plug-Ins
Powered by Universal Audio’s popular UAD-2 DSP Accelerator hardware and Apollo audio interfaces, UAD Powered Plug-Ins offer the world’s most authentic analog hardware emulations and award-winning audio plug-ins on Mac and PC. UAD plug-ins deliver rich, analog sound quality that would be difficult or impossible to achieve with native recording systems.
About Universal Audio Inc.
Founded in 1958 by recording pioneer Bill Putnam Sr., and refounded in 1999 by Bill Putnam Jr., Universal Audio is best known for its classic, hand-built analog hardware and advanced UAD Digital Signal Processing technology for recording, mixing, and mastering audio. Headquartered in Scotts Valley, California, UA is focused on merging the best of vintage analog and modern digital technology, following its rich recording heritage and motto, “Analog Ears. Digital Minds.” www.uaudio.com.