c. 1939 National steel guitar--approx. price?

crazybilly

• Members

friends, I just talked to my grandpa. he was telling me he's got a pre-war (probably '38 or '39) National Hawaiian steel guitar....he's trying to figure out what it's worth. I'm planning on doing some ebay/internet research later this afternoon, but don't have time now....I figured asking ya'll about price would be a good first step, so I'll throw it out now. What do ya'll think it's worth (I'm pretty sure that it's in pretty good shape)? Thanks!

• Members

not real well, no. And he didn't really play it. EVER. And the whole, Grandma-in-a-wheelchair thing kept him pretty busy. I saw it once before, but that's about it.

I just checked out that guide to Nat'l steel-bodies. I'll be going to see him this weekend, so I'll check it out.

He's not looking to sell, I don't think. He's just curious.....

• Members

Originally posted by bjorn-fjord

I don't know my Nationals too well. Is it a 12 or 14 fret model? I have heard that the 14 fret ones are more desirable from a value point of view. But the creme de la creme are the original round neck tricones.

I'm no expert either, but I thought the 14 fret models are more modern. It allows you to slide up to the octave, even when tuned to open D and capo'd at 2 for open E. I believe most if not all the 'originals' were 12 fret neck joints, but I could be full 'O' {censored}.

Archived