What is the best bang-for-buck metal body Reso these days ?

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

Yes, i would love to have a National Reso . . . but that is not gonna happen soon.

What is my other options in the sub 1K price range ?

Is there anyone here who feel they have such a great reso, they have no need to even look into the National brand ?

Any info every welcome.

;)

• Members

Republics get mixed reviews, usually pretty good but I would want to play one before I bought it. I did play one of the new Gretsh metal reso's and felt that it was OK but both the anodized finish and the mother-of-toilet-seat headstock kind of turned me off.

There are some other consideration - do you want 12 or 14 frets clear, what neck profile do you like, how will you tune and play it. I assume that you are talking about a single cone biscuit, but that needs to be confirmed.

This is a pretty slow moving forum, but resonators do get discussed quite a bit - you might want to go back and search some of the threads

http://bigroadblues.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=3836871b36191193df01d1d554c35bfe

Lastly, and I don't want to be shot by the spam police, I have considered selling my 1980 Dobro Duolian which would be right at your price point - we could discuss if you are interested.

• Members

Thank you very much Freeman ;)

12 or 14 ? . . . i'll be perfectly honest - i have not given it that much thought.

Yes, i am looking into a single cone model.

Also preff a square shoulder, as opposed to a round shoulder.

The brands that i know of, that is under 1K is :

Rogue

Regal

Gretsch

Recording King

And the new boy (new to me at least) on the block, Hot Rod Steel Guitars. (are they any good ?)

PS : thanks for the link ;)

Do you have any pics near by of your Dobro ?

• Members

Add Republic to your list http://republicguitars.com/index/ My understanding is that they import a PacRim body and install domestically made cones (usually the weak link in the Regal/Rogue/etc ones) and do some setup work. I believe that Recording King is the same but I don't have any personal experience. Most of the Regal/Rogues that I have played were some time ago so my perspective may be flawed but it seemed like with a cone upgrade they could be OK. I know you don't want a lap style, but the Beard Goldtones are wooden body PacRim guitars that are set up in the US by Paul Beard. He has a vid where he takes the cone out of one and taps it - it makes kind of a dull thud, then he taps his own cone and it rings like a bell. Replacing a cone is not all that hard - I could talk you thru it.

The reason I ask about necks is that does make a difference how it will feel when played. Most of the 14 fretters are like any acoustic - a bit of curve to the fretboard and often a slightly narrow nut - these play really good when fretted but are a little tricky to play cleanly with a slide. Twelve fretters almost always have wider flatter boards and are easy to play slide, but you compromise fretting. A few have dead flat boards which are sweet with the bottle neck but a pain to barre. If possible play as many as you can - you start to feel a difference.

Mine is a 14 fretter which is the reason I have considered selling it - I can and do play slide on it but since I built my tricone I gravitate to it and the old 'bro just sits there in a corner. It has a NRP "hot rod" cone (which is the good one) and a carbon fiber biscuit (seemed cool but I don't think it did anything for it). It is set up with a medium slide action - I normally string it with mediums and tune to G or D (be very careful tuning a resonator up, you can damage the cone). One ding in the neck which has been drop filled, otherwise flawless. Stars and moon coverplate, the Hawaiian etching. Here it is with my other noise maker

Sportybro-1.jpg

and the back

IMG_0921.jpg

I'm not in a hurry to part with it - do some research and play as many as you can including any Nationals for reference then if you want to talk we can. Meanwhile I need to go down to my local store tomorrow and they have a couple of Gretshes - I'll take a slide along and give them another go.

Archived