1994 Martin D-1 Dreadnought Guitar Value?

n_summers

• Members

Hi. Someone wants to buy my mint condition, unused, 1994 Martin D-1 Dreadnought guitar with original hard case. Does anyone know what a fair selling price is for this?

Thanks!

For the record, I know nothing about guitars, which is why this one is in mint condition since it was purchased for me in 1994. That's why I'm asking for help pricing this. :)

• Members

Looks like the D-1 is now an inactive model, but you can still get them new online for $900. List price is $1300, but you should use the $900 figure to start from, since they are available new at that price.

Two things you are going to have to discount the price for: condition and warranty.

Assuming that it is in excellent condition (I'm just going by your post), then you shouldn't take too much of a hit here. Excellent condition is still not the same as new, so you will have to discount some. If it is not really in excellent condition, then adjust accordingly. I'd think 5-10% off of retail would be fair here.

Being a second hand instrument (after you sell it), it will no longer be under warranty, so the sale value should be less due to that. I really don't know how to judge this one. I'd say another 10-15% off retail just to put some numbers to it.

That leaves you with anywhere from 15-25% off of the retail ($900) value, so selling around in the 6 or 7 hunderds or so

Anyone care to comment on these numbers? They came straight out of you-know-where.

-A

• Members

Looks like the D-1 is now an inactive model, but you can still get them new online for $900. List price is $1300, but you should use the $900 figure to start from, since they are available new at that price.

Two things you are going to have to discount the price for: condition and warranty.

Assuming that it is in excellent condition (I'm just going by your post), then you shouldn't take too much of a hit here. Excellent condition is still not the same as new, so you will have to discount some. If it is not really in excellent condition, then adjust accordingly. I'd think 5-10% off of retail would be fair here.

Being a second hand instrument (after you sell it), it will no longer be under warranty, so the sale value should be less due to that. I really don't know how to judge this one. I'd say another 10-15% off retail just to put some numbers to it.

That leaves you with anywhere from 15-25% off of the retail ($900) value, so selling around in the 6 or 7 hunderds or so

Anyone care to comment on these numbers? They came straight out of you-know-where.

-A

Unused/minty condition...yeah, $600 to $700 seems pretty fair.

• Members

Lots of the D-1, D-1R, D-2R, D-3R, and other 1 series guitars go on ebay for around 500-600 dollars with the ohsc. You can charge more if your guitar is in amazing condition, but I pruchased a D-2R with an aftermarket bone saddle and nut for 535 dollars off ebay a while back and it was in really great shape. I think that asking 700 for a D-1 might be at the higher end of the market, but those are real nice guitars and your D-1 might be worth it considering the condition. Don't feel bad if you end up selling the guitar around 550 to 600 dollars since used Martin DM's go for 600 to 650 as well and they are newer models. Good luck...

• 5 years later...

Archived