How to play that cool arpeggio lick from "Tender Surrender" by Steve Vai

kyboch

• Members

Here's my tutorial on how to play that really sweet arpeggio from Tender Surrender by Steve Vai. It happens at 2:27 of the studio recording. I've always thought it was the most interesting lick in the tune.

What's so cool about this lick is that he includes an "outside" note that you'd think would sound terrible, but in context it actually sounds awesome and gives the arpeggio it's kind of exotic flavor.

I hope you enjoy the video and that you are able to get something out of it.

cheers everyone.

• Members
Not one reply? Wow this forum has died. Great job though kyboch' date=' you rock! Like all your lessons this one is a perfect rendition of the original. In fact I'm gonna learn this one..[/quote']

Hey Stringbender, good to hear from you bro, yeah this forum seems kinds deserted these days right? Oh well, hope the vid helps man, it's a tough lick to pull off clean, but it's worth the effort I think. cheers bud.

• Members

Thanks for posting it - and all the others you go to the trouble to make & post. Yeah that's a really cool run - so Steve Vai too.

You know whats interesting speaking of leads & runs, I was listening to a bunch of African music the other day on some public radio station while I was driving. Wow that stuff is SO different from 'normal' guitar playing. The music itself is kinda tribal and kinda reggae sounding if that makes any sense.

And the guitar work is all clean and seems like its played with what most western guitarists would consider crappy tone. I would bet money there's very few expensive guitars or amps involved. The songs are vivid and upbeat, and the guitar sounds really cool, very melodic with these strange scale runs.

Just thought it was interesting how different guitar playing can be from what many of us here are used to. :)

• Members
Thanks for posting it - and all the others you go to the trouble to make & post. Yeah that's a really cool run - so Steve Vai too.

You know whats interesting speaking of leads & runs, I was listening to a bunch of African music the other day on some public radio station while I was driving. Wow that stuff is SO different from 'normal' guitar playing. The music itself is kinda tribal and kinda reggae sounding if that makes any sense.

And the guitar work is all clean and seems like its played with what most western guitarists would consider crappy tone. I would bet money there's very few expensive guitars or amps involved. The songs are vivid and upbeat, and the guitar sounds really cool, very melodic with these strange scale runs.

Just thought it was interesting how different guitar playing can be from what many of us here are used to. :)

Hey Stringbender, yeah man that's so true. The approach to music is different in different areas of the world. Like when Paul Simon went to Africa and was influenced (or stole) all those rythyms and that playing style, or George Harrison discovering Indian music where their scales have quarter tones etc.

It's all good man. To me any music is great music if it's played well. I also agree with what you're saying about them playing with "not the best" equipment. I mean when you think about it, most of the music from the 64-78 or so was played on what today would be considered sub-standard equipment, and it happens to be some of the greatest music ever created! So yeah, it more what's in your heart and in your head than what kind of gear you use. I mean gear can make a difference for sure, but it will never make anyone great. The greatness is within right? always has been, and always will be.

That's it for today's sermon haha!

cheers bud

• Members

Hey Stringbender, yeah man that's so true. The approach to music is different in different areas of the world. Like when Paul Simon went to Africa and was influenced (or stole) all those rythyms and that playing style, or George Harrison discovering Indian music where their scales have quarter tones etc.

It's all good man. To me any music is great music if it's played well. I also agree with what you're saying about them playing with "not the best" equipment. I mean when you think about it, most of the music from the 64-78 or so was played on what today would be considered sub-standard equipment, and it happens to be some of the greatest music ever created! So yeah, it more what's in your heart and in your head than what kind of gear you use. I mean gear can make a difference for sure, but it will never make anyone great. The greatness is within right? always has been, and always will be.

That's it for today's sermon haha!

cheers bud

Totally agree with all of the above, buddy. You cant buy tone, despite what many players seem to think. It's 98% in the fingers. :)

Archived