ESP MII and Ibanez JS1000: what do you think???

Dimitris

• Members

JS:

http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-Joe-Satriani--JS1000-i26579.music?match=1

ESP:

http://www.music123.com/ESP-MII-i115054.music?match=1

- same price range (ESP bit cheaper)

- ESP has wonderful 24 fretboard (not too thin but not to thick either). Haven't tried the JS (22 frets).

- The Edge Pro of the JS is much much better than the floyd rose of the ESP.

- Alder (ESP) vs Basswood (JS)

- JB/59(ESP) vs Fred/Paf Pro(JS).

- the JS has more comfortable shape, though the ESP being a superstrat should be comfortable anyway.

what do you think???

• Members

Originally posted by Nightchords

are you trying to say that a Floyf Licensed is better than the REAL thing?

me thinks thou art confused:rolleyes:

no I am not

I have the Original Floyd Rose in my Maiden Strat and the Edge Pro in my RG1570.

The Floyd rose keeps less in tune, feels much more stiff (yes I have tried adjustments with springs), not to mention couple of broken saddles when changing strings (could be my fault though).

• Members

Originally posted by Nightchords

are you trying to say that a Floyf Licensed is better than the REAL thing?

me thinks thou art confused:rolleyes:

Original FR has not changed at all since it has been invented.

Edge tremolo has bben refined over several times. I have both Lo-Pro Edge and Original FR - Lo-Pro is more stable, no question.

• Members

The JS1000 in the link you posted does not have the new Edge Pro trem, it has the older Lo-Pro Edge. The new JS1200 does have the Edge Pro though. I don't think any of the JS1000s have the Edge Pro trem.

Otherwise, they are both very similar and comparable axes. I've owned a few M-IIs and played the JS1000 at GC awhile back... I thought it was a really nice axe, and I even liked the stock DiMarzio pickups. The new 2005 M-IIs will have 2 EMG81s instead of the SD '59/JB combo, so that might make a difference to you as well. I'd mostly say it really comes down to personal preference becuase they are both very nice guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz

The JS1000 in the link you posted does not have the new Edge Pro trem, it has the older Lo-Pro Edge. The new JS1200 does have the Edge Pro though. I don't think any of the JS1000s have the Edge Pro trem.

Otherwise, they are both very similar and comparable axes. I've owned a few M-IIs and played the JS1000 at GC awhile back... I thought it was a really nice axe, and I even liked the stock DiMarzio pickups. The new 2005 M-IIs will have 2 EMG81s instead of the SD '59/JB combo, so that might make a difference to you as well. I'd mostly say it really comes down to personal preference becuase they are both very nice guitars.

All JS's now have the Edge Pro, except the JS2000 and the JS2 reissue.

• Members

Originally posted by Polaris20

All JS's now have the Edge Pro, except the JS2000 and the JS2 reissue.

Except older models which are still in dealer's stock ;).

Many time dealers have guitars in their inventory for 6 months or more. I'd check first to be sure, and not just assume that it will have the newer Edge Pro.

• Members

hey thanks all for the input.

as regards to JS1000 the latest ones have the EdgePro tremolo - should be mistake by music123.com. in ibanez.com the JS 1000+1200 have the EdgePro.

i think it's a shame the new ESP will have EMGs only.

could someone shed some light with regards to the JS multiradius neck. how does it feel?

is it similar to the ESP or thicker/thinner??

• Members

Originally posted by Panther

Original FR has not changed at all since it has been invented.

Edge tremolo has bben refined over several times. I have both Lo-Pro Edge and Original FR - Lo-Pro is more stable, no question.

I dunno, I have OFR, regular edge, and lo-pro edge. I like both the original edge and OFR over the lo-pro edge. Theyre all great though, and either of those 2 guitars will play fantastic. Personally I'd choose the ESP, as I'm a huge fan of the look of the M series, and not so much a fan of the look of the JS series.

edit: hey cool I just realised you have an RG620, is that the quilted sapelle(?) top?. I've got an RGR620 (reverse, colour matched headstock) with a swamp ash body. I've never seen or heard of another one like mine, I think it may have only ever been released in Europe or Japan?

rgr620_550px.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Interesting, have any you guys read about the problem that the Edge Pro has with non locking studs?

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/stud_mod_03.htm

"With a bean-counters brilliance the factory decided to downgrade the locking stud system they've been using since 1985 on their Edge and Lo Pro equipped guitars to the cheaper non locking stud the cheaper Korean models have always had. This is the best mod I could come up with to add the locking studs to the Edge Pro equipped guitars, short of pulling the stud inserts and putting a set of Lo Pro inserts in, which is unnecessary with this set screw mod. I originally thought this mod would also work on the Edge Pro II bridge also as they both seemed to share the same inferior studs. I have been told the EPII studs are not the same as the EP studs, although still just fully confirmed, I would respect this notice.

Why do you want locking studs? A stud that's allowed to move will not always return to the exact spot causing tuning to be slightly out after whammy use. Any movement in a double locking system is a death blow to stability. A nut that's walking whacks tuning out a specific way, pull-up it returns flat, dive it returns sharp, very peculiar and easy to diagnose. Very erratic return is usually from an unstable pivot point. The first thing I check on used guitars that have horrid return is the stud inserts [the stud's anchors that are press fit into the wood] because when they oval the wood and get loose they will never return to the same spot between dive and pull-up stresses. This causes super erratic swings in pitch with no really stable or even predictable return, It's the unpredictability that points directly to an unstable pivot. Loose studs work on the same principle, even though it effects tuning to a smaller degree, it does have an effect. Nothing beats a stable pivot point to give you absolutely predictable trem return. Ironically the loosening of these inserts in older guitars is largely attributed to non locked studs that have wiggled back and forth enough it's caused the insert to oval the wood [although I have had a New Old Stock LNG Jem with maybe an hour of total play time that had significantly oval'd inserts just from sitting in a case for 15 years. Basswood is a soft wood and susceptible]."

• Members

Originally posted by The Berzerker

I dunno, I have OFR, regular edge, and lo-pro edge. I like both the original edge and OFR over the lo-pro edge. Theyre all great though, and either of those 2 guitars will play fantastic. Personally I'd choose the ESP, as I'm a huge fan of the look of the M series, and not so much a fan of the look of the JS series.

edit: hey cool I just realised you have an RG620, is that the quilted sapelle(?) top?. I've got an RGR620 (reverse, colour matched headstock) with a swamp ash body. I've never seen or heard of another one like mine, I think it may have only ever been released in Europe or Japan?

rgr620_550px.jpg

That's a BEAUTIFUL guitar. Love it!

• Members

Get the JS1000 man.

Hands down the most comfortable guitar I have ever played.

Smooth tone, amazing neck and amazing tuning stability.

Don't worry about the missing locking studs. It will still stay in tune better than the OFR.

Also, the locking studs mod is cheap.

Archived