2 questions about string retainer bars

Goldtopper

• Members

You know those string retainer bars that all 6 strings go under just past the nut like this (see random pic found on Google below) 2 questions..

1. Are they REALLY needed with a locking nut? It would seem there's no advantage to having the extra tension from the downward angle since the strings are locked in the nut anyway.

2. Anyone out there using one of these behind a non-locking nut, instead of traditional string trees? (if so, is there any problem with string binding?)

FRStrat.jpg

• Members

i believe it's purpose is to keep the strings tight against the nut as opposed to slightly floating due to the downward angle of the locking nut. if the retainer weren't there, when you locked the nut, it would take up that slack from the strings floating there and they would all go way sharp.

• Members

1. IMO, yes. It creates a downward angle so that when you have it all tuned up and then lock down the pads, there isn't a drastic change in tuning. Without it, when you lock down the pads, some strings would go sharp immediately since the strings aren't following the angle of the locking nut.

2. Not me but it seems to me like it would create an unnecessary binding point. JMHO.

• Members

Thanks guys- I understand now how the strings would go sharp on a Floyd nut when clamped down without this.

I'm still wondering about the second question if anyone has any experience.. is it good on a non-locking guitar as a replacement for traditional string trees?

Would it possibly bind the strings more or less than string trees?

• 13 years later...
  • Members
On 9/19/2007 at 8:01 PM, Phishmonkey said:

1. Yes otherwise it would be a bitch to tune after lockdown

2. Probably not, I don't see the point of it

In response to #2: Grover Jackson used these instead of string trees on the GJ2 Glendora guitars. (I have one.) I was thinking of trying this on a Jazzmaster build I'm working on, rather than individual string trees. FYI, I haven't noticed it causing any binding problems on my GJ2. The GJ2 trem works as well or better than my strats.

Archived