The Teac 144

HeatherAnnePeel

• Members

3-TEAC-ad.web.jpg

This is the device that really began the inexpensive home recording revolution in 1979. It may be hard to believe it, but this 4-track cassette recorder was a huge technological advancement for the time. Released the same year as the original Sony Walkman, both devices had the impact of the iPod in their era. I remember really wanting a 144 (I ended up getting a PortaOne in 1988) when I first saw it. It seems quaint and like a relic now, but it really ushered in the era of affordable home recording in the pre-digital era.

79teac_144.jpg

• Members

3-TEAC-ad.web.jpg

This is the device that really began the inexpensive home recording revolution in 1979. It may be hard to believe it, but this 4-track cassette recorder was a huge technological advancement for the time.

79teac_144.jpg

Good thread topic (for me anyway). Just think how many bands/musicians have been able to flesh out ideas and even demos relatively cheaply over 30 years because of multi-track cassette decks.

My best friend and jam mate Mark had a Tascam "Syncassette". Remember those? A basic stereo deck that you could record two discrete tracks on (or endless overdubs). That deck was a LOT of fun!

Tascam now has a digital deck that's kinda like the PortaOne that you mentioned. It's only about $200, but lacks e.q. and an f.x. loop... but the technological leap is just hard to believe. Start with NO HISS and a full frequency range.. built in stereo mic.. usb... etc.

Does someone else out there remember the era before digital multi tracking on a notebook computer??

• Members

I had a Porta One and used the hell out of it for years and years. That was a bargain at $600 in 1985, too.

There's something to be said for those units. Incredibly basic and simple to use, and they sound just good enough to be a great songwriting and arranging tool....but not so good that you end up wasting your time trying to get a really professional sound out of one. They won't do it. These days even cheap DAW gear is so good and so complex that you can end up focusing too much on the recording process, and not creating better music.

edit: As I'm writing this I'm staring at my Digidesign 003 Protools rig and waist-high rack of pres and outboard gear....

• Members

I've got a 424 MK3 that I bought in 2002.

It's a great box.

Really useful for recording 4 tracks of drums using splitters and an overhead on channel 5. (I don't yet have the Firepod I need)

(each track dedicated to a certain drum mic or mics)

It gets use, and the panning and effects when recording toms is great.

Gives it that true stereo pan effect. The line out is essential for computer HD recording (RCA end to male stereo mini) and it's all good.

Only a slight amount of tape hiss, but I found recording in DBX then playback in normal mode helped eliminate that hiss, and also brought out a surprising bit of fullness to the overall sound of the drum mix.

• Members

I love four tracks! My friend and I use to record on a little Tascam one. We'd buy a bunch of those little splitter jacks from radio shack to mic up my drums. We'd put four mics in to one track and mic up the snare, bass, HH's and ride and then have another couple as over heads......didn't sound great but it wasn't terrible either...but lots of fun.

• Members

It really is amazing what could (and still can) be done with these things. I learned much about the principles of multi-track recording from working with them. The very first multi-track recording I ever did was in August 1981 (I was 18) on a friend's Teac 4-track reel to reel:

Dreams Of A Poet

An instrumental I wrote and produced with a three piece band I was in at the time. This was the model used, the 3340:

teac4track.jpg

I still have the Scotch reel of that session! That experience got me hooked, but I didn't get the PortaOne until January 1988. That led to the 688 (8 tracks on cassette) in 1990 and the other Tascam recorders I have.

• Members

My personal fave unit is my 688, which I bought new in 1990:

IM000214.jpg

8 tracks on cassette that sounded really good seemed unreal at the time. Even after all these years, the 688 remains my fave. It has MIDI/SMPTE functionality and was pretty advanced at the time. It was the king of the hill, as far as cassette multitrackers go, no doubt about it.

Archived