What's a Gibson SG-II (1972)worth??!?

Evoken13

• Members

Howdy, folks

There's a Gibson SGII from '72 for sale at a local shop here....all original save for a swapped out bridge. Seems to be in great shape ( I wasn't actually there, my stepson texted me the pic) What are these going for nowadays?? They want $1,200 which seems a bit ridiculous for what was supposedly a starter guitar.

SG.jpg

THANKS!

:thu:

• Members

Occasionally you see them on ebay. Most of the time they are listed for ridiculous prices like that - a common thing with 70s Gibsons. The ones that sell usually go for $650 - $740.

They can actually sound pretty good. But $750 can get you a nice used SG Classic that would make it look like a toy.

• Members

The one I have has a very nice neck on it. It seems good quality to me

Just about everything else has been modded tho'

Every time I think about getting rid of it I play it and end up thinking why would I want to get rid of such a nice playing guitar.

The price may be too high but if you can get to play it you might see some value.

it looks in good nick.

• Members

It is always nice when you can find an older guitar that is still in good enough playable condition that it does not need any additional work done to it to bring it up to code. Ultimately it is up to the buyer to determine if he wants to spend the amount of money that the guitar store will sell the guitar for. But if that particular SG II is structurally sound and does not have any issues that prohibit it from being a working musical instrument the price is around what I would expect it to be. $1200 is not an incredible deal on an SG II but is not entirely unreasonable either.

• Members

I have a friend who has an SGIII. Same guitar in cherry sumburst. Neck is as narrow as a Rickenbacker. Bridge pickup is icepick in the ear. Neck pickup sounds OK. It's been sitting in his attic since the 70's. Every once in a great while we bring it down, and play it for a couple of minutes.

The I, II, III series replaced the equally short lived SG-100, -200, -250 series, which replaced the MusicMaster. So that's the market it was designed for. I had an SG-100, which was somewhat better, but not by much.

There's a lot better ways to spend that kind of money on a guitar.

As mentioned before, I'd much rather have the Guild behind it.

Archived