Help! Alnico pickup problem - terrible sound!

dmc69

• Members

I don't get it. Why do my alnico pickups sound so bad? I have 2 sets: a no name and a Seymour Duncan SSL-52 strat set.

My problem is my low E string. It sounds like garbage! It's hard to describe the sound, but it's like the speaker is blown and it seems to be overly 'fuzzy'. I know my speaker isn't blown.

I tried this on both sets of pickups and got the same problem. I tried to eliminate other possible variables as well. I changed strings. I tried different amps. New cord.

When I used a guitar with ceramic pickups, there was no problem at all. Tried guitars with MIM strat pickups, and one with Lace Sensors.

I'm left with the pickups to blame then. I'm pretty sure the pickups aren't faulty. So what's wrong then??? Or is this just normal? :idk:

• Members

not really. but that's something I should check out too.

Edit: tried it. Lowered the pickups, and same crap :(

another edit: lowering the pickups makes it bearable and I notice it less, but now it's pretty low. Makes it sound kind of weak. Is there another way of getting rid of that awful sound, or is lowering the pickups (and turning up my amp a little more) the best solution?

• Members

th_M4H09558.jpg

Alnico pickups for the 1st half, ceramics are second half.

Excuse my hard picking on the strings to the point where it buzzes.

String buzz is not the problem under normal playing, as there is no buzzing when I play the guitar unplugged.

Pots are stock Fender pots in the 2 anico guitars I had.

• Members

Other than the little string buzz, which is only a matter of raising the action at the nut a tad, I really don't hear any problem. It's just the character of the alnicos coming through IMO and the fuzziness has more to do with how your amp is voiced I imagine. I would try it through another amp.

• Members

stratitis

in alnico pickups, the pole pieces are magnets and in ceramic pickups, the magnets are underneath the coils and farther away from the strings - the alnico magnets pull on the string enough to cause tuning and other problems, especially in a strat because there are three pickups

more info here and here

• Members

stratitis

in alnico pickups, the pole pieces are magnets and in ceramic pickups, the magnets are underneath the coils and farther away from the strings - the alnico magnets pull on the string enough to cause tuning and other problems, especially in a strat because there are three pickups

more info
and

Thanks onelife. I think that's the problem. The site describes it perfectly - warbling.

I just set my pickups to almost flush with the pickguard. The amount of space is more than I'm used to seeing, but it's working.

• Members

I've read about it and I'm comfortable with the issue in theory, but I've probably owned 40 strats and I've never EVER had this issue.

If it helps at all, I'll offer up a set of stock 2006 MIM ceramics in trade for your SSL2s. :idk:

:lol:

I'll even cover shipping both ways.

• Members

I've read about it and I'm comfortable with the issue in theory, but I've probably owned 40 strats and I've never EVER had this issue.

If it helps at all, I'll offer up a set of stock 2006 MIM ceramics in trade for your SSL2s.
:idk:

:lol:

I'll even cover shipping both ways.

I'd so do it too... But I'm too lazy to take my pickups out of my guitar :) Gosh darn it!

• Members

Tweaking the thing a bit, and having it at the right height made all the difference in the world! I've been playing that strat for the last few hours now. Nice, sweet tone, no more warbling. Thanks guys!

SD SSL-52 pickups are really nice!

Archived