Picked up a used Squier Minii for my son

vintage clubber

• Members

I dropped a better set of tuners in it and set it up - plays and sounds nice! what guage strings would you suggest for such a short scale? I put 9-42 on it, but they feel like rubber bands. I use 10-46 on all of my own guitars. Should I go heavier on the mini for better tuning stability?

Don't ask me for pics yet because it is a Christmas present! :mad:

:D

• Members

Congrats cool little guitar.I use 10 -46 and tune mine to A. Could'nt get it to sound right in standard tuning ,now it plays and sounds great.Kept it stock but the switch sucks.Will change it someday. Scored it this summer at a pawn shop brand new,75 bucks. Mines black with a rosewood board.Has your son got an amp to play thru?.

• Members

Out of curiosity, how old is he? My son is 9(.5) and has started getting interested in guitar...wasn't sure if I should get say a 3/4 size, a shortscale with fullsize body, or just a regular...and if a regular, should I avoid 25.5 scale. One problem is he likes the contours and guitars with them tend to be 25.5 :D

Just a thought, I wonder if the heavier strings might hurt more/be harder to play for him.

• Members

Out of curiosity, how old is he? My son is 9(.5) and has started getting interested in guitar...wasn't sure if I should get say a 3/4 size, a shortscale with fullsize body, or just a regular...and if a regular, should I avoid 25.5 scale. One problem is he likes the contours and guitars with them tend to be 25.5
:D

Just a thought, I wonder if the heavier strings might hurt more/be harder to play for him.

He usually plugs into my vox pathfinder. I got him a beater Peavey predator a few years back, but he still hasn't grown into it. He is 8...:o

016.jpg

I pulled this from my old dumb phone:

[video=youtube;KimcGujEydM]

• Members

My girl (6) has a red Mini and I put 10s on there for her. She can't play, but she can fret them. They feel a lot lighter cuz the scale is so short. Hope you got as good a deal as I did. $35 with a strap and stand..

I got this for $50 plus another $10 for a used full size padded roadrunner gig bag. :thu:

• Members

Remember, 22.75" is roughly 84.5% of the tension of the Gibson scale of 24.75". Usually, when you go up one gauge, you gain about 20-25% in string tension. So if you'd want to be playing 9s on a Gibson, you'd put 10s on the Mini. So, you might try something like GHS Boomers in 10.5 because my experience with short scales is that no matter what these equations tell you, actual thickness in strings does matter. Since GHS Boomers are relatively low tension, you can have a thicker string without increasing string tension too much. Most short scale players use at least 10 gauge strings (I do, and I use 9.5s on longer scales), and many use 11s or thicker.

• Members

I used 10's on my daughters Mini Hello Kitty strat that I got her last christmas. I would still say they are a "little" thin.. but for her they are perfect. For me, I would go to 11's... but a young kid, that just messes around on it, the 10's are perfect. Also lots of leway if she tunes it up a little to high...

Archived