Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar tuners (not tuning posts) and setting intonation...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Guitar tuners (not tuning posts) and setting intonation...

    I currently have a BOSS TU-80 Tuner, which has done a fair job, but it doesn't perform well enough when I am setting intonation. For example, if I am setting the high E, open string is in-tune, harmonic is in-tune and the 12th fret is flat... after I move the saddle forward and tune the string again, it's still flat at the 12th fret, and exactly by the same amount as before... This happens with both of my guitars so I am assuming it's just a lack of quality with the tuner. (ESP EC-400vf with Seymour Duncan 59' and JB; AXL SRO with AXL brand Alnico pickups)



    I have done some research on some of the latest models of tuners available, and below is the information I have so far...



    Strobe style tuners are supposed to be the most accurate... using a stroke of light vibrating at the frequency of the note being tuned so that you can see the most miniscule variation of being out-of-tune. Sort of a visual tuning fork I suppose...



    Analog Plug-in - I used to hear and read a lot about analog tuners being the absolute best available because a needle provides for a full sweep with an infinite number of points as compared to a digital display which has specific display points. However, many analog tuners use digital components which make the tuning physics of the device exactly the same... and with a physical needle, if the needle is off on calibration, then so is the tuning.



    Clip-on - These seem to be the highest rated tuners currently, but I cannot tell if they are rated highest for typical consumer based reasons, such as flexibility and ease of use, or if they are really very accurate tuners. Specifically, the Korg AW2G and the SNARK SN-1.



    I have been expressing the point of accuracy the most... Ideally, I want to get the type of tuner that will get me closest to using a set of tuning forks without actually using tuning forks... am I asking too much? At the very least, I would like something that is decently accurate, and that will read properly while I am setting intonation.



    Recommendations?



    Thanks!
    ESP LTD EC-400vf (Gibson 496R/500T)PRS SE Santana (Santana III Bass/Treble)AXL Badwater SRO (GFS OW Liverpool/Duckbucker/JB)Mitchell MD-100SCEPeavey Vypyr 100http://www.flickr.com/photos/2516481...7604952053071/

  • #2
    Ok, so I found a computer based strobe tuner that works incredibly well, and it costs less than $5!! So I thought I might share it...



    here's the link - http://www.tbstrobetuner.com/



    Of course, you will need to already have a cable to connect your guitar to the computer... USB to Guitar cables can be found at Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. Any version of the RockSmith cable will work.
    ESP LTD EC-400vf (Gibson 496R/500T)PRS SE Santana (Santana III Bass/Treble)AXL Badwater SRO (GFS OW Liverpool/Duckbucker/JB)Mitchell MD-100SCEPeavey Vypyr 100http://www.flickr.com/photos/2516481...7604952053071/

    Comment


    • #3
      Ok, so I found a computer based strobe tuner that works incredibly well, and it costs less than $5!! So I thought I might share it...



      here's the link - http://www.tbstrobetuner.com/



      Of course, you will need to already have a cable to connect your guitar to the computer... USB to Guitar cables can be found at Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. Any version of the RockSmith cable will work.
      ESP LTD EC-400vf (Gibson 496R/500T)PRS SE Santana (Santana III Bass/Treble)AXL Badwater SRO (GFS OW Liverpool/Duckbucker/JB)Mitchell MD-100SCEPeavey Vypyr 100http://www.flickr.com/photos/2516481...7604952053071/

      Comment


      • #4
        Ok, so I found a computer based strobe tuner that works incredibly well, and it costs less than $5!! So I thought I might share it...



        here's the link - http://www.tbstrobetuner.com/



        Of course, you will need to already have a cable to connect your guitar to the computer... USB to Guitar cables can be found at Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. Any version of the RockSmith cable will work.
        ESP LTD EC-400vf (Gibson 496R/500T)PRS SE Santana (Santana III Bass/Treble)AXL Badwater SRO (GFS OW Liverpool/Duckbucker/JB)Mitchell MD-100SCEPeavey Vypyr 100http://www.flickr.com/photos/2516481...7604952053071/

        Comment


        • #5
          Ok, so I found a computer based strobe tuner that works incredibly well, and it costs less than $5!! So I thought I might share it...



          here's the link - http://www.tbstrobetuner.com/



          Of course, you will need to already have a cable to connect your guitar to the computer... USB to Guitar cables can be found at Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. Any version of the RockSmith cable will work.
          ESP LTD EC-400vf (Gibson 496R/500T)PRS SE Santana (Santana III Bass/Treble)AXL Badwater SRO (GFS OW Liverpool/Duckbucker/JB)Mitchell MD-100SCEPeavey Vypyr 100http://www.flickr.com/photos/2516481...7604952053071/

          Comment


          • #6
            i use my turbo tuner and it works great.



            clip-on tuners are good for tuning in a band situation but I wouldnt use one to intonate as the turbo is more accurate.
            _________________________________________________

            stuff:
            52RI Tele
            Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
            more stuff:
            65 Twin Reverb Reissue
            Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate


            The REAL Angry

            Comment


            • #7
              i use my turbo tuner and it works great.



              clip-on tuners are good for tuning in a band situation but I wouldnt use one to intonate as the turbo is more accurate.
              _________________________________________________

              stuff:
              52RI Tele
              Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
              more stuff:
              65 Twin Reverb Reissue
              Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate


              The REAL Angry

              Comment


              • #8
                Planet Waves Tru-Strobe Pedal Tuner

                http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-T.../dp/B0033PSLSM



                If you get one be sure to get the 9v adapter.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Planet Waves Tru-Strobe Pedal Tuner

                  http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-T.../dp/B0033PSLSM



                  If you get one be sure to get the 9v adapter.

                  Comment


                  • #10






                    Quote Originally Posted by RedJamaX
                    View Post

                    Ok, so I found a computer based strobe tuner that works incredibly well, and it costs less than $5!! So I thought I might share it...



                    here's the link - http://www.tbstrobetuner.com/



                    Of course, you will need to already have a cable to connect your guitar to the computer... USB to Guitar cables can be found at Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. Any version of the RockSmith cable will work.




                    You don't need the snazzy cable, just get a 1/4"-1/8" adaptor and plug into the mic input.
                    Tauntr.com - Adding Insult to Everything!Neck Pocket Cavern Surveyor for the Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You club!"In all fairness, Les Pauls have a switch position labeled "Rhythm", while Strats do not, because they are lead guitars for lead guitarists." -Flatspotter

                    Comment


                    • #11






                      Quote Originally Posted by RedJamaX
                      View Post

                      Ok, so I found a computer based strobe tuner that works incredibly well, and it costs less than $5!! So I thought I might share it...



                      here's the link - http://www.tbstrobetuner.com/



                      Of course, you will need to already have a cable to connect your guitar to the computer... USB to Guitar cables can be found at Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. Any version of the RockSmith cable will work.




                      You don't need the snazzy cable, just get a 1/4"-1/8" adaptor and plug into the mic input.
                      Tauntr.com - Adding Insult to Everything!Neck Pocket Cavern Surveyor for the Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You club!"In all fairness, Les Pauls have a switch position labeled "Rhythm", while Strats do not, because they are lead guitars for lead guitarists." -Flatspotter

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by RedJamaX
                        View Post

                        Ok, so I found a computer based strobe tuner that works incredibly well, and it costs less than $5!! So I thought I might share it...



                        here's the link - http://www.tbstrobetuner.com/



                        Of course, you will need to already have a cable to connect your guitar to the computer... USB to Guitar cables can be found at Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. Any version of the RockSmith cable will work.




                        You don't need the snazzy cable, just get a 1/4"-mono 'phone adaptor and plug into the mic input.
                        Tauntr.com - Adding Insult to Everything!Neck Pocket Cavern Surveyor for the Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You club!"In all fairness, Les Pauls have a switch position labeled "Rhythm", while Strats do not, because they are lead guitars for lead guitarists." -Flatspotter

                        Comment


                        • #13






                          Quote Originally Posted by RedJamaX
                          View Post

                          Ok, so I found a computer based strobe tuner that works incredibly well, and it costs less than $5!! So I thought I might share it...



                          here's the link - http://www.tbstrobetuner.com/



                          Of course, you will need to already have a cable to connect your guitar to the computer... USB to Guitar cables can be found at Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. Any version of the RockSmith cable will work.




                          You don't need the snazzy cable, just get a 1/4"-mono 'phone adaptor and plug into the mic input.
                          Tauntr.com - Adding Insult to Everything!Neck Pocket Cavern Surveyor for the Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You club!"In all fairness, Les Pauls have a switch position labeled "Rhythm", while Strats do not, because they are lead guitars for lead guitarists." -Flatspotter

                          Comment


                          • #14






                            Quote Originally Posted by RedJamaX
                            View Post

                            I have been expressing the point of accuracy the most... Ideally, I want to get the type of tuner that will get me closest to using a set of tuning forks without actually using tuning forks... am I asking too much? At the very least, I would like something that is decently accurate, and that will read properly while I am setting intonation.



                            Recommendations?



                            Thanks!




                            btw you already have the tuning fork...it's the 12th fret harmonic.

                            Comment


                            • #15






                              Quote Originally Posted by RedJamaX
                              View Post

                              I have been expressing the point of accuracy the most... Ideally, I want to get the type of tuner that will get me closest to using a set of tuning forks without actually using tuning forks... am I asking too much? At the very least, I would like something that is decently accurate, and that will read properly while I am setting intonation.



                              Recommendations?



                              Thanks!




                              btw you already have the tuning fork...it's the 12th fret harmonic.

                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X