No announcement yet.

Best 2012 album

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 2012 album

All genres, which is at the top of your list?

Spectrum Road debut album of the same name, with Vernon Reid on guitar, Jack Bruce on bass, and Carlos Santana's wife on drums. 

It's a Tony Williams Lifetime Tribute band of sorts, they do a lot of Tony Williams Lifetime songs.

Comment

• peskypesky
      peskypesky commented
      Editing a comment

humbuckerstrat wrote:

Spectrum Road debut album of the same name, with Vernon Reid on guitar, Jack Bruce on bass, and Carlos Santana's wife on drums. 

It's a Tony Williams Lifetime Tribute band of sorts, they do a lot of Tony Williams Lifetime songs.

Ooh! That sounds sweet! I will have to check that out.

A lot of great albums came out last year. I'm still playing catch-up.

Runners up would include:

Baroness - Yellow and Green

Kimbra - Vows

Two Gallants - The Bloom and The Blight

Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory

The Whigs - Enjoy The Company

Father John Misty - Fear Fun

But at the top of my list is a rather odd choice for me. Two young sisters from Sweden who can seemingly write better songs than anybody in Nashville. This album has a sweetness and honesty of a group not yet ruined by the American music scene. The production and playing on the album is top notch (produced by the guitarist from Bright Eyes), and I hope to hear more from them in the future.

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

Comment

• mschafft
      mschafft commented
      Editing a comment

Thanks for sharing. That's really good!

• GreatDane
      GreatDane commented
      Editing a comment

Special J wrote:

A lot of great albums came out last year. I'm still playing catch-up.

Runners up would include:

Baroness - Yellow and Green

Kimbra - Vows

Two Gallants - The Bloom and The Blight

Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory

The Whigs - Enjoy The Company

Father John Misty - Fear Fun

But at the top of my list is a rather odd choice for me. Two young sisters from Sweden who can seemingly write better songs than anybody in Nashville. This album has a sweetness and honesty of a group not yet ruined by the American music scene. The production and playing on the album is top notch (produced by the guitarist from Bright Eyes), and I hope to hear more from them in the future.

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

good stuff in there, J.  that Baroness album set has kept regular rotation for me.  FWIW, i also liked  "king animal" from soundgarden.  

these were good too:

Deftones "koi no yokan"
      Nada Surf "the stars are indifferent to astronomy"

Mark Lanegan "blues funeral"
      Corrosion of Conformity "self-titled"
      Dirty Three "toward the low sun"
      the killers "battle born"
      Mumford & sons "babel"
      Neurosis "honor found in decay"

Michael Kiwanuka, Home Again.

Comment

I can't think of many right now, except I'm pretty sure Opeth's last record came out in 2012, and I liked it.
      Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Working...
      X