OT: the Presonus 22vsl audio interface. Anyone has experience with it?

Jkater

• Members

Presonus audiobox 22vsl

I bought this a year ago as I prepared to buy a laptop for recording but I ended up waiting to buy the laptop (now I'm about to do it). So it's been sitting there for that long. Anyway, I just wonder if anyone has it or tried it and can share what they think of it. i recently found out that it doesn't take line level signals into the inputs (they are for mic and passive instruments) and first I was peeved and depressed by the news (I'll be recording lots of electronic drums and pre-amplified signals out of, say, a pod HD400). Then I read that a DI box goes around that problem and allow those signals to be well recorded. That was a relief as it would have been a bummer to have really the wrong interface for my needs.

But enough blah, blah. blah from me. Tell me what you think! Thanks.

• Members

onelife wrote:

I believe the instrument input on those boxes will take a line level

That's what I thought too when I got it, onelife, and it's only recently that I read that only the 44vsl has two aditional input for line level instruments. The "instrument" input (1/4" jack part of the combo input) of the 22 is for passive instruments like an electric guitar or bass straight into it. You are right in saying that it's still possible to use it for line instruments but tricky to get the levels right. A DI box just makes it work so it's a bit of a relief. Had I known though, I would have got the 44vsl to save me the hassle and extra step. Plus who knows if the DI box doesn't affect the signal even minimally.

Archived