Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you wanna play rock guitar? Essential listening...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you wanna play rock guitar? Essential listening...

So imagine that a friend tells you he wants to learn to play rock guitar and wants to know what he should listen to in order to get exposed to a variety of styles and innovations. What's your list of 10 essential records for the aspiring rock guitarist?

Taking a stab below...how closely do we match up?

1. Muddy Waters - Muddy Waters 1941-1946
    2. Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode
    3. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
    4. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
    5. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    6. Deep Purple - Made in Japan
    7. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    8. Van Halen - Van Halen
    9. Ozzy Osbourne - Randy Rhoads Tribute
    10. U2 - Joshua Tree

That's a pretty good list. I have recommended in the past to young players to memorize Led Zeppelin II.
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

There's so much great rock music it's pretty impossible to boil it down to 10 recordings.  Your list is pretty good.   I might add some Beatles and Stones.

Please visit my website www.treeguitarworks.com

Comment

nobody ever says that. people should learn what they like.
        The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Replace Led Zeppelin with The Jeff Beck Group's Truth...then drop U2 and add Led Zep II....

Comment

Looking at the Tone Deaf list (a good one), I find myself wondering what the players on that list thought was essential listening . And then what was the essential list for that generation, etc...

Of course, recorded guitar music only goes back a hundred or so years (perhaps quite a bit further, if you consider piano-rolls), so as you go futher back in the musical generations, players would be citing influences within their geographic sphere.

As far as my list, well, if I just can't keep it to under 50 recordings.

Comment

Working...
          X